On the 8th of this month I posted a note about getting something called "execution errors" when I tried to run Express for the first time.

I received a polite note from one of Dantz' tech support people asking me to provide more information about my system, and I posted a reply with that info a couple of days later.

Since then I have never heard back from anyone.

Yes, I realize that you say you only provide "real" tech support over the phone, but your hours are not convenient for me to call. I am in the situation of having bought this software and on each occasion I try to use it I get "execution errors". Consequently I do not even know if I have created a dependable backup or not.

At this point, your very limited free tech support is about to expire and I still do not know if I have a functional backup system or if I just (metaphorically speaking) flushed $50 down the toilet. I will try to find some time during the day to call, but I'm wondering why you folks sent me an email asking all of those questions if you were never going to follow up anyway --- seems like it was a waste of both your time and mine.

btw, the answers are in my post at the following address:

http://www.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=expressx&Number=10352&page=&view=&sb=&o=

I also got an execution error trying to run a backup of my OS9 partition from OS 9.2.2

the error message is as follows:

? Retrospect Express version 5.0.205

launch at 7/7/2002 1:47 PM

Quit at 7/7/2002 1:54 PM

launch at 7/29/2002 9:11 AM

+ Executing Immediate Backup at 7/29/2002 9:15 AM

To backup set OS 9 Bakup…

- 7/29/2002 9:15:16 AM: Copying OS 9 HD…

7/29/2002 9:48:53 AM: Comparing OS 9 HD…

File “Date & Time Preferences”: different modification date/time (set: 7/29/2002 9:25:02 AM, vol: 7/29/2002 10:11:37 AM), path: “OS 9 HD:System Folder:Preferences:Date & Time Preferences”.

7/29/2002 10:19:06 AM: 1 execution errors.

Completed: 15933 files, 2.8 GB, with 2% compression

Performance: 87.8 MB/minute (83.4 copy, 92.7 compare)

Duration: 01:03:50 (00:00:02 idle/loading/preparing)

Quit at 7/29/2002 10:20 AM

launch at 7/29/2002 10:22 AM

Quit at 7/29/2002 10:23 AM

launch at 7/29/2002 5:39 PM

I'm not with Dantz, but maybe I can help.

The "1 execution errors" message is just telling you how many other messages it gave you. In this case, there is just the one message 'File “Date & Time Preferences”: different modification date/time (set: 7/29/2002 9:25:02 AM, vol: 7/29/2002 10:11:37 AM), path: “OS 9 HD:System Folder:Preferences:Date & Time Preferences”. ' That is, the time stamp on this mentioned file was changed between the time it was backed up and the time it was checked.

In the other example (over in the OS X forum), there were three execution errors, two of these time stamp discrepancies and one data size change. None of these is particularly surprising in a busy system.

Retrospect doesn't consider any of these errors serious enough to stop execution, but reports them to you so you can decide whether you think action is required. (For example. if the change to Date & Time Preferences was a change of time zone, you might want to back up that file again to preserve the change.)

The answer to your question, and many others, can easily be found in the Dantz online Knowledgebase, and also in your User's Guide (located in the Retrospect program folder), which will save you a call to Technical Support. Knowledgebasecolor=blue>

Verification Errors

The following messages indicate an error while comparing to verify files:

• File “Home.html”: different modify date/time

• File “Bore Dimensions”: didn’t compare at data offset 263,078

• File “Port Flow specs”: didn’t compare at resource offset 731,429

A verification error occurs during verifying when Retrospect determines a file it

copied to the destination is not identical to the file copied from the source. The file in question is not considered valid in the destination. If this happened during a backup, for example, Retrospect would try to copy the file again during the next normal backup to this backup set. When you know the file was in use at the time the copying was done, a verification error is usually nothing to worry about. It simply means the file changed between backup and verification. Verification errors which mention data or resource offsets usually indicate problems with the communications bus.

If you have a G3 upgrade card in an older Macintosh, it may be the cause of errors mentioning an offset. See Dantz Technical Note #408 (available on the Dantz web site) and contact your G3 card vendor for a software update.