Can't add that much data to backup set. The limit is 2.0 G.

- My user is running Retrospect 6.1 on OS X and the backup sets are on a Windows 2003 file server.

- The source folder for one backup set is 1.8 GB and runs successfully.

- The source folder for the other backup set is 20 GB and gets the error "Can't add that much data to backup set. The limit is 2.0 G."

Any help is greatly appreciated.

How is the share being seen by the Mac running Retrospect? (FAT32, SMB, NTFS, AFP, etc.)

If some Windows AFP driver is being used, what version of AFP protocol is being supported by the Windows 2003 file server?

What are you using on the Windows 2003 file server to do the sharing to the Mac?

And, Dave's suggested test is a good one. Create a 4 GB file, try copying it to the Windows file server and back. How big is the result for the round trip?

Russ

Quote:

If some Windows AFP driver is being used, what version of AFP protocol is being supported by the Windows 2003 file server?

I don't know the version, but the size limit is indeed 2GB in Microsofts implementation of an old version of the APF protocol. And the file name limit is 31 characters. We hit both limits quite often.

But even though newer AFP specs exist since 2000 (or maybe 2001) (without these limits), Microsoft hasn't implemented them.

Russ,

- The share is being seen as NTFS

- No AFP driver is being used

- The 2003 file server is using standard file sharing

- My user copied a 2.9G file to the file server with no trouble

Is it time to look at Retrospect itself?

Thanks much for all your responses thus far.

-Merrick

Quote:

- The share is being seen as NTFS

That doesn't make sense, since the Mac can't write to NTFS disks. If you (on the Mac) shows Finder info about the volume, is it really shown as NTFS????

Quote:

Is it time to look at Retrospect itself?

Actually, the time to look at Retrospect itself was in the original post, where specific information regarding the software versions being used was omitted.

Then it was time again, about an hour and a half later, when there was a specific request for that specific information.

Of course Lennart is (as usual) correct. NTFS disks are mounted on OS X as read-only.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050521110452194&lsrc=osxh

• 2 weeks later...

Just to recap my issue:

- My user is running Retrospect 6.1 on OS X and the backup sets are to be stored on a Windows 2003 file server.

- The source folder for one backup set is 1.8 GB and runs successfully.

- The source folder for the other backup set is 20 GB and gets the error "Can't add that much data to backup set. The limit is 2.0 G."

- The finder info shows "Format: Windows Sharing (SMB/CIFS

Any help is greatly appreciated

Quote:

Just to recap my issue:

And just to recap the responses so far, you continue to omit critical information that may point to a solution.

Please look at posts #100490 and #100579 above, and answer the question regarding the specific version of Retrospect and the version of the RDU that it is using.

Dave

Dave,

My sincerest apologies. I thought that I had mentioned in a previous post that it was version 6.1.126 but had no RDU installed.

I installed RDU version 6.1.12.101 today and it works!!! (Go ahead and roll your eyes...I deserve it)

Thanks very much to everyone for their responses and their time!

-Merrick

Archived