doing daily backup, i dont get it

Hi

Our comapny just bought this application. We need to make daily backup to a REV Drive. I dont really get this? i have make a script that recycle every m,t,w,t,f but when i put in a new tape into the rev drive it just want me to choose wich drive or destination i want to have the backup to.

I thought that i just needed to name the tapes to the same name as my destination in retrospect??

otherwise this application is not automatic handled?

How do i do it?

very thankful for help

am i not supposed to mark all my tapes like this:

Backup Set Mon

Backup Set Tue

Backup Set Wed

and so on...

and then choose the member right member.

why does the member put 1- infront of Backup Set ... so it looks like this 1-Backup Set Tue?

it still wants me to put in a new member...

Quote:

and then choose the member right member.

Do you run the backups manually?

If you add a scheduler for each day, you select a specific backup set for each day.

Quote:

why does the member put 1- infront of Backup Set ... so it looks like this 1-Backup Set Tue?

Because that's what Retrospect always do. When the tape is full, next tape will be named 2-xxxx and the 3-xxxx and so on.

yes we changes tapes every day 8 o clock in the morning. the backup must start at ten o clock in the evening but it keeps asking me to put in a new member. its supposed to know that theres a new tape in the rev and do it automatically.

i also thought that the tapes would be automatically erased when i use recycle, otherwise they will constantly be full.

Quote:

i also thought that the tapes would be automatically erased when i use recycle, otherwise they will constantly be full.

Yes, the tapes will be erased when you recycle, but only if it is the correct tape. Retrospect will never erase a tape that is part of another Backup Set.

You may want to try to do a manual recyle just to test.

Or you may try to manually erase the tape.

(Retrospect accepts only the correct tape or an erased tape. The wrong tape that happens to have to correct name is not accepted.)

Archived