"Retrospect cannot use( DVD Drive): because it does not have a drive letter assigned"

All of a sudden I get this error message when starting up Retrospect 7.5 ( latest)

WinXP SP2

I am using a Plextor 716A ATA DVD/RW Drive... ( have used it for 2 years with Retrospect)

*** For all other Drive uses & functions ... it is recognized with a Drive Letter ... and in

The 'Windows Admin Management' program ... it is recognized and the Drive Letter

is assigned properly.

When I subsituted it for a standard DVD Drive ( not a ATA) ... no problems reported

I reloaded an older version of Retrospect ( 7.3--) ... still the problem of recognition

*** This is the error .... "Retrospect cannot use: Plextor DVD DL 1:1:0 because it does

not have a drive letter assigned"

I have searched through the "Support and Hardware" section and have not found the

"Retrospect for wIndows reports "the drive can't be used because no drive letter is

assigned" for CDR drive that has an assigned drive letter."

I am quite burdened down by this mystery problem. Especially since in other programs

it works fine...

I did make sure that the registry entry "exclude miniports" were set to 'null value'.

( \\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM.......................\Aspi32\Parameters )

*** Also, I ran the Retrospect Utility called "ASPICHK" ... all returns were GREEN

with version 4.6 showing.

Any help would be gladly accepted !

Thank you for your courtesy

Pete Cleland

06-19-2007

• 3 weeks later...

I am having this exact same problem... only it is happening to BOTH my DVD/+RW drives (Plextor and Lite-On).

Also, I am no longer able to access these DVD drives from within Windows Explorer. Everything was working fine until I rebooted today and BANG... this happens.

Would appreciate any help on this matter. Pete, if you find out anything.. please let me know. Thanks.

BK King... ( kinda) !

Well, I got no responses from the Forum Members ... so, I started thinking that some sort

of definition ( past) was messing me up ( somehow). I removed the Plextor Drive, put

back in the #2 original DVD-R/W in the #2 position ... no problem with Retrospect.

Soon as I had it recognized from the start up on ... I replaced orignal with the Plextor,

it was recognized by the XP System properly ... fired up Restrospect 7.5 ... would not

( again) allow the Plextor.

So ... started a search for config files and *.ini files ... found one somewhere ( should have

written down the location ... was called something in the order of "DVD*.ini". When I looked

at it ... it had the definition for a previous DVD drive. I erased that file ... presto. All worked

again with Retropsect.

I would suggest ... searching down any "DVD*.ini" files ... look at the contents, rename them

to "*ini.sav" ... and see it it helps.

Did for me ... and, this was my greatest challenge to date for the Retrospect Program !!

*** Sorry that I did not write down the location where I found it...

Please do let me know if it helps you !

Victory for you...

Pete Cleland

07-05-2007

BK King... ( kinda) !

Well, I got no responses from the Forum Members ... so, I started thinking that some sort

of definition ( past) was messing me up ( somehow). I removed the Plextor Drive, put

back in the #2 original DVD-R/W in the #2 position ... no problem with Retrospect.

Soon as I had it recognized from the start up on ... I replaced orignal with the Plextor,

it was recognized by the XP System properly ... fired up Restrospect 7.5 ... would not

( again) allow the Plextor.

So ... started a search for config files and *.ini files ... found one somewhere ( should have

written down the location ... was called something in the order of "DVD*.ini". When I looked

at it ... it had the definition for a previous DVD drive. I erased that file ... presto. All worked

again with Retropsect.

I would suggest ... searching down any "DVD*.ini" files ... look at the contents, rename them

to "*ini.sav" ... and see it it helps.

Did for me ... and, this was my greatest challenge to date for the Retrospect Program !!

*** Sorry that I did not write down the location where I found it...

Please do let me know if it helps you !

Victory for you...

Pete Cleland

07-05-2007