Retrospect can never find catalog!

Hi -

My automatic backup script fails each night with this error:

Can't access catalog for backup set Backup Set A, error -43 (file/folder not found).

I went to "configure>backup sets> Backup Set A > configure" to confirm that retrospect knew the location of the catalog file. I saw the file path on my NAS (I was not prompted to find it either).

When I run this manually, ("immediate>run") it prompts me for the location of the catalog file every time. The dialog box always defaults to the correct folder and I have to select the catalog file.

Why can't it find my catalog automatically?

pete

p.s. I am using Retrospect version 6.1.126

> Why can't it find my catalog automatically?

Although you omit much in the way of relevant information regarding your specific configuration, the most obvious hint you have given concerns the use of a NAS.

I'd suggest reading the ReadMe regarding using Retrospect to access Backup Sets or Catalog files on remote shares; if you still have questions, a follow-up post containing specific information would be best.

Quote:

> Why can't it find my catalog automatically?

Although you omit much in the way of relevant information regarding your specific configuration, the most obvious hint you have given concerns the use of a NAS.

I'd suggest reading the ReadMe regarding using Retrospect to access Backup Sets or Catalog files on remote shares; if you still have questions, a follow-up post containing specific information would be best.

Thanks for jumping in to help. I checked out the Readme and there was a section titled "Backing Up To or From Mounted AppleShare Volumes". However, I believe the section does not apply because I am using a SMB volume.

I'd be happy to include as much information as required. I am not sure specifically what is relevant but I will give it a go:

HARDWARE/OS:

- 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running Mac OS X 10.4.9

RETROSPECT

Version 6.1.126

EasyScript:

Sources:

- Local Desktop Container (Local hard drive_

- Backup Clients Container (1 networked Windows XP client)

Destinations:

Backup Set A on:

Infrant ReadyNAS NV+

http://infrant.com/products/products_details.php?name=ReadyNAS%20NVPlus

Type: smbfs

Mount Point: /Volumes/backup

Mounted From: //MSHOME;ADMIN@192.168.1.100/BACKUP

Selecting: All files

Options: verification off, data compression, synchnoize clocks, don't backup filevault sparseimages

Schedule: [every night @ 10pm]

Typical log entry on a failure:

∆ Retrospect version 6.1.126

automatically launched at 5/29/2007 10:00 PM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 6.1.10.100

+ Normal backup using EasyScript Backup at 5/29/2007 10:00 PM

Can't access catalog for backup set Backup Set A, error -43 (file/folder not found).

5/29/2007 10:00:27 PM: Execution incomplete.

Quit at 5/29/2007 10:00 PM

Quote:

Go to Configure->Backup sets and select the backup set in question. You should be asked to locate the catalog file. That should do it.

Quote:

I believe the section does not apply because I am using a SMB volume.

The section does indeed apply, because Retrospect only supports AFP for auto-mounting of network shared volumes. This is a design limitation of the program that is unlikey to change.

If the ReadyNAS supports AFP (I believe it does) I'd use that file sharing protocol instead. Or, if the Backup Sets are being stored on the root level of the share, I've had some success using MountWatcher to keep a CIFS volume mounted on a PPC Retrospect machine, although it crashes when I try and run it on an Intel box (there are probably other open source solutions to keeping a share mounted, but I don't know of any first hand).

@ Lennart - Per my original post, I tried that.

@ CallMeDave - Just to be sure, are you suggesting that my problem is due to the share not being mounted? The reason why I mention it is becuase I am pretty sure that it is always mounted (I set up a system outside of retrospect that uses Display Watcher to trigger a mount applescript on "wake from sleep").

In fact, when I run the backup job manually the first thing it asks me is to locate the catalog and its right there int he default window! I just tried this now, it asked me to locate the file and I clicked canceled the execution. I immediately ran the script again and then it completed the whole backup without any intervention on my part. Now this is getting strange.

My NAS supports AFP so I can easily switch to that protocol if you think it will solve the problem.

pete

p.s. Is there any way to get email notifications of thread replies? For the life of me I can't figure out how.

Quote:

@ Lennart - Per my original post, I tried that.

p.s. Is there any way to get email notifications of thread replies? For the life of me I can't figure out how.

No, it just says what you SAW, not that you actually opened it.  ;-)

Yes, there is. Check out "My Home" and "Subscribe" near the bottom.

And I think you need to check the box "Add this thread to my favorites" when you post.

Quote:

are you suggesting that my problem is due to the share not being mounted?

I'm suggesting that Retrospect works best when it mounts remote AFP volumes itself.

This issue is very likely the most talked about subject on this Forum since versio 5.0.x shipped five or six years ago.

When you mount a remote volume from the Finder, the mounted volume notes the User ID of the Finder User that mounted it (often #501).

Retrospect always runs as the root user (#0). Mac OS X may not allow a program owned by one user to have full access to a volume mounted by a program owned by another user.

So seeing the volume on the Finder's Desktop does not guarantee that Retrospect will be able to "see" the volume itself. It's a System Thing.

Follow the steps in the Users Guide and the Read Me. Configure Retrospect with the shared volume's name and password. Keep the volume un-mounted, and allow Retrospect to mount/un-mount the volume when it needs it.

Dave

Archived