I have been using a script for the last month to back up my computer with no problems. I have been backing to a harddrive. last night the script ran as usual at 8pm and then ran again as a recycled back up at 10pm. basically what happened was it erased the last month of data and started over. anyone know if this info can be recovered. from my hard drive or am I out of luck. it was about 350gb worth of data.

Quote:

last night the script ran as usual at 8pm and then ran again as a recycled back up at 10pm.

You must have scheduled a Recyle Backup to run at 10:00, yes?

> what happened was it erased the last month of data and started over.

It erased the contents of the Backup Set. That's what Recycle means.

> anyone know if this info can be recovered

No.

I did not schedule a recycle backup atleast not intentional. is it possible it was set when I made the script. I have repeated my steps with making a script and I saw nothing of recycle. I guess I am skrewed. could the info still be there or is it really gone. I have recovered info before that has been accidentily been trashed.

Quote:

why would a backup software have something that recycles with out asking if you really want to recycle

I don't know of any that does. Certainly, Retrospect will display a warning dialog when you Configure a Backup Set for Recycle.

Users generally simply click on warning dialog boxes without reading them. The technical term for this is "user error."

Dave

yeah I take on the blame. user error. but still you should be asked and have to enter a password or some sort of security. not everyone reads directions or dialog boxes all that well. like me. at least then you have to manually ok the script (to recycle) when it is about to delete everything.

I still wonder if the info is still there. I have been able to recover a year worth of images off of deleted info. just not sure how retrospect deletes the drive or info. the drive does not get reformatted. I guess I will talk to someone on tuesday. any ways thanks for the help.

Your best bet would be to send the disk to a disk recovery company, pay big bucks and get your files back.

But since the files are overwritten with the new backup, your chances are slim.

There are file recovery applications you can buy, but I doubt they recognize Retrospect files.

In the future, have more than one backup set and use them on a rotating basis. For instance, I have four: A, B, C and D and use each of them every four weeks.

Quote:

I have been able to recover a year worth of images off of deleted info. just not sure how retrospect deletes the drive or info.

Working on the assumption that you were using a File Backup Set, Retrospect stores all the backed up data in a single file. You then re-wrote new data to that same file, effectively overwriting what had been there. Since the entire file would be required to use it to Restore, it's unrealistic to hope that every byte of the original data might exist on unused blocks of the drive.

Archived