Installing OnStream USB30

Aloha,

I have just come back from vacation to a broken computer. I needed to reinstall Windows 2000 Pro with SP2 and all of the critical updates. After I got Windows running I reinstalled all of my applications and Norton Anti-Virus. Next I've tried to get my OnStream USB30 tape drive working. So far I've got Retrospect Express 5.6 installed and running but it doesn't see the tape drive in the devices window.

How can I get Retrospect to see my tape drive (OnStream USB30)?

Under Device Manager I can see the Tape Drives/OnStream USB30. Under the tape drive's Proerties it says that the device is working properly. Under the drivers tab I've updated the driver to sc2k.sys.

Still Retrospect does not see the tape drive. How can I get Retrospect to see my tape drive (OnStream USB30)?

Thanks,

John

Complete instructions for installing the Onstream USB Drive in Windows2000:

1. Use "Freecom USB Cable" Windows 2000 drivers available from Freecom

(www.freecom.com) or OnStream (www.onstream.com).

2. If downloaded from OnStream, the file is called "Freecom_USB.exe" (self extracting zip). If downloaded from Freecom, the file is called "pccusb015aw.zip".

3. Use OnStream "SC 2000 Drivers" available from OnStream (www.onstream.com). The two files downloaded should be named "sc2k.inf" and "sc2k.sys", and should be put in the same location.

4. After expanding the downloaded Freecom software into a folder, restart computer.

5. When Windows detects the Freecom USB cable, point to the downloaded Freecom software.

6. When Windows then detects the OnStream USB30 drive, point to the downloaded file "sc2k.inf".

7. In Device Manager, you should see the following:

-Under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers", there should be a listing for "Freecom Cable USB". Driver properties for this device should display "FCCable.sys", "FCLogMsg.dll", and "FCUSB.sys".

-Under "Tape drives", there should be a listing for "OnStream USB30". Driver properties for this device should display "sc2k.sys".

Amy,

Thanks for the quick reply to my question. Before I try reinstalling the cable, tape drive and Retrospect Express 5.6 I had some other questions.

1) The driver files on the Onstream Site are labeled: Freecom145.zip. On the Freecom site they are labeled: 00001013.zip. The Freecom145.zip is the file that I've used previously to get the cable working. I just wanted to check with you incase I need to find the files that you had listed. Will the drivers contained in the Freecom145.zip work to install the Freecom cable that I have?

2) I had the tape drive reconized by the Device Manager as working properly and the drivers was listed as the sc2k driver. These are the drivers that had worked previously. Is there any other reason or issue that would prevent Retrospect Express from recognizing my OnStream USB30 tape drive?

3) Does it matter if the cable and tape drive are installed before installing Retrospect?

Thank you,

John

Hi John

Either site is going to list the newest version of drivers available - and it looks like they have different names for the download. However, either should be fine as long as they are the latest and greatest from the vendor.

I did read in your original post that you had the tape drive drivers up to date, so you should be in good shape. I wanted to post the full instructions for the benefit of others who may be having similar problems.

You should install the tape drive and the USB drivers before installing Retrospect if only so that Retrospect will recognize them. There are no conflicts, however, if you install Retrospect first.

Regards,

Amy

Archived