Server: Mac OS X (10.4.8 on Intel hardware)

Retrospect Version: 6.1.131

Backup Hardware: Exabyte VXA 1U Autoloader (10 slots)

Is there a way to see what files are on a specific tape? For example, I have a job that writes a full backup on Sunday, and incremental backups the rest of the week. It usually uses 3 or 4 tapes from my autoloader. Once a month, I need to permanently archive one of my backups. I only want to get the Sunday full backup, but I'm not sure if it spilled onto the second tape or not. I don't want to miss some of my backups by not including the tape, but at $60 a pop, I don't want to archive a tape that I don't need to.

Does anyone know of a way to find out what part of the backup set is on a specific tape?

Thanks!

Check how many members (=tapes) your backup set has on Monday morning.

And if you forget, you can check it later: Check the date of the first member (=tape). If the date is Sunday, the backup used (at LEAST) two tapes for the full backup. If the date is Monday or later, only one tape was used for the full backup.

Quote:

Does anyone know of a way to find out what part of the backup set is on a specific tape?

Although this information is (unfortunately) not included in the log or catalog, you can figure it out manually.

First determine the start and end times for your desired backup in the log or in Reports> Contents.

Then go to Configure> Backup Sets> [name of backup set] Configure> Members. The listing includes the date and time that each backup set member was first written to. If the "first written to" time of a particular member falls within the time window of your backup, you know that the backup includes that member, and (unless the backup exactly started with that member) the previous member as well.

Archived