Hi, Retrospect 6.1 tells me that it can't add to the backup set 'the catalog is locked'. I've checked permissions on the catalog files. I had recently moved a folder into a subvolume so it could be backed up as well. I have checked the permissions on this also. My OS is 10.4.8. Many thanks.

Hi, I have rebuilt the HD with the OS, so therefore reinstalled Retrospect 5, brought in the Retro.Config file (for the previous catalog files already on the Data HD). Then have upgraded to Retrospect 6.1.126. Another message says a "script is ready for execution but the configuration isn't ready...Can't add to backup set Snapshot (001). The catalog is locked."

Quote:

Hi, I have...reinstalled Retrospect 5, brought in the Retro.Config file (for the previous catalog files already on the Data HD). Then have upgraded to Retrospect 6.1.126.

Be aware that the catalog format changed from v5.x to 6.x such that the earlier catalogs are read-only and can't be added to. If you're trying to write with v6.1 to a catalog created under 5.x (or an earlier verion), that's your problem.

You can use the earlier backup sets for restores, but you'll need to create new backup sets for your current backups.

Quote:

I copied the Retro.Config file from version 6.1 If it was originally created in 5 then upgraded to 6.1 on the original HD; would this read-only situation still apply?

This isn't about the retro.config file.

This is about your catalog file (that belongs to a backup set). Have you created the backup set in a version previous to version 6, it is now read-only.

got the same problem here. I've only ever had Retrospect 6 and it's thrown up this error in the log for the first time a few days ago. All subsequent backups have failed with the same error. Any ideas?

I guess I could instruct Retrospect to perform a new media backup and that would probably solve it (I backup to external HDs, file backup). Would be nice to find out why it happened though...

cheers

stu

Another cause of a catalog locked error is the double-auto-launching bug, as noted in numerous threads here on the Forum.

- Are your scripts configured to have Retrospect launch at a scheduled time?

Check you log for any evidence that two versions of Retrospect launched in advance of the error.

Dave

• 5 months later...

Quote:

I have this problem...

What problem?

Exactly?

"Me too" posts rarely help either the poster or the readers, unless they include additional information.

Please describe, in detail, _your_ configuration and _your_ experiences. That's the best way for others to offer suggestions.

Dave

Hi, I'm definately no expert but in my case I had done a rebuild of our server and the catalog was locked because we had put a later version of Retrospect on the server which saw the original catalog files as locked. The catalog files came from version 5 and we had installed version 6.

Archived