High Idle times

I quote rhwalker.

Please provide:

(1) complete version number of Retrospect

(2) complete version number of Retrospect Driver Update

(3) complete version number of the OS

(4) complete description of hardware being used.

(5) complete description of the steps you are doing

(6) complete description of the problem

I quote rhwalker.

Please provide:

(1) complete version number of Retrospect

- Multi Server Version 7.5.324

(2) complete version number of Retrospect Driver Update

- Driver Update and Hot Fix version 7.5.9.102

(3) complete version number of the OS

- Windows 2003 Web Edition SP1 Version 5.2 (Build 3790.srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447 : Service Pack 1)

(4) complete description of hardware being used.

- Server is HP Proliant ML310 G4, tape drive is HP LTO Ultrium-2 Drive SCSI Revision S53D

(5) complete description of the steps you are doing

- I have opened Retrospect, created a script that does a normal backup every day of several volumes on 6 different servers.

- At the end of the backup I open the Operations Log and I can see that the backup takes approx 2 hours each day and approx 30 mins of that is idle/loading/preparing.

(6) complete description of the problem

- There is no problem. I am asking if it is normal for 25% of the total backup time to be spent idle/loading/preparing and how can it be reduced?!

I do hope that my answers assist you in assisting me.

OK, that's more like it.

Yes, it's normal. The only way to speed it up is to buy faster servers. (And if you had Retrospect 6.5 or 7, moving to 7.5 would make it faster [building snapshot, especially].)

First, the volume is scanned, then matched to already backed up files, the tape positioned, actual file copying, building snapshot and updating catalog file. Some of these steps counts as "idle/loading/preparing". The only time when Retrospect is actually "idle" is when it waits for the tape station to position, rewind or change tapes.

Archived