Disked used to backup now read as "incompatible"

Using Mac OX 10.2.8 I used Retrospect 6.0 Backup to back up all files onto CDs and most recently DVDs. I have recently downloaded the upgrade 6.1.126. When trying to restore files backed up with Retrospect 6.0 I sometimes, although not always get a "incompatible" message when inserting the requested CD. I don't know why and the media isn't that old (less then a year in some cases). Can anyone help me understand why some disked burned with Retrospect 6.0 is not "compatible" with version 6.1.126 and how to remedy this problem. Thanks

there shouldnt be any problems restoring disks that were used by 6.0 with 6.1. Just to make sure that its not the disks themselves have you tried going back to 6.0 and trying a restore? Also what type and brand are using CD-R CD-RW and what device are you using? You can find out by going into configure-->devices and clicking on device status

We use CD-R or DVD-R from Imation, Sony, FujiFilm, Maxell...preferably Imation, usually Sony, sometimes Maxell, infrequently Fujifilm. Unfortunately I don't by the media and the person who does usually gets what is on sale at the local Staples. The device is a Pioneer CD/DVD-R that came built into the G4. One day the disks are readable, the next that are "incompatible". No rhyme or reason to it that I can see. Sometimes I have to use an older version of Retrospect on an OS 9 machine with an external EQuest CD-RW to retrieve files backed-up on CDs (Not DVDs), file sharing and Apple Talk MUST be turned off in order for this to work or else there too I get an "incompatible" when inserting the reqested disk. Any thoughts on what is going on and why?

Thanks for you input

I just tried to restore files from 4 different back-up sets. Two disks of the four were either "incompatible" or "unknown"...one set of the two was backed up using Retrospect for OS 9, one was backed up using Retrospect 6.0 on OS 10.2.8. Any idea why two of the four disk would be unreadable by Retrospect 6.1 ?

You understand that you will not be able to write to the 6.0 disks because the backup format changed, right? But that's not the issue because you are discussing restore, not backup.

Is it possible that the laser on the Pioneer CD/DVD-R is getting dim or needs cleaning? It does happen. It would be an interesting test to attach the external EQuest CD-RW from the OS 9 machine onto the G4 to see how that performs.

Are you storing the CD/DVD disks in the dark (in sleeves in a cabinet or drawer, etc.) at proper temperature? It's possible that the disks are becoming marginally readable over time. And some disks have dyes that degrade over time. See the white paper on CD/DVD stabilty from NIST's Government Information Preservation Working Group:

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/gipwog/StabilityStudy.pdf

Russ