Troubleshooting Startup Issue

Glowball

I'm hoping to find some help troubleshooting a new issue I'm having with Retrospect 6.5 on XP SP2. I'm not a SysAdmin or really very technical, so I'm not sure how to figure out what's going on with Retrospect. It's been working just fine for awhile now (maybe 9 months) and now when I start it up it works on something (I can hear the hard drive working and my computer gets really slow) but it never starts up. I get the splash screen and see the main window but it never becomes available -- I've given it 10 minutes before killing it.

When I look in the Task Manager both retrorun.exe and Retrospect.exe don't have too many cycles, so I'm not sure what's going on. What should I do to troubleshoot this? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Have you installed any new hardware since this started happening? I believe Retrospect could be doing a device scan and hanging on a device. Anything like an all-in-on printer and memory card readers may be problematic with 6.5.

You can also try with clean configuration files to see if that's the problem. Go to C:\Documents And Settings\All Users\Application Data and rename the Retrospect folder to Retrospect-old. Note that Application Data is a hidden folder. By doing this, you'll need to re-enter your license code and reconfigure your scripts/clients. If it still hangs, you rename the folder back to Retrospect to bring back your settings.

Archived