Error tbuffer.cpp-832

birdog63

When I attempt to manually launch a backup I get the following message and the program hangs up and won't respond. The message is "Retrospect has encountered a serious error: Assertion failure at "tbuffer.cpp-832" A log of this error has been written to the file "assert_log.utx".

I also am not able to launch a scheduled backup as the system establishes the backup time as deferred.

I have searched the knowledge base on this error and can find no information. I need to have this issue resolved quickly so would you please advise me of a solution.

Does anyone have a solution?

thanks

hi tom,

what version of Retrospect?

what OS?

what hardware?

what are you backing up?

please try to describe your problem in better detail. remember that no one can see what you are doing, so even basic info (like the OS) is better given by you than guessed by the reader.

Quote:

I also am not able to launch a scheduled backup as the system establishes the backup time as deferred.

that one is in the kb:

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=7956&p=2

cheers.

Thanks for the reply and info.

I am backing up information stored on a file server. The server is acting as a client. I am using Retrospect Professional version 7.5.320. The OS on the backup device is Windows XP SP2. The destination device is a seagate external harddrive connected via USB.

This issue surfaced after a successful backup on 10/13. The next scheduled backup was 10/14 at which time the software wanted to download and install an update from Retrospect. I approved the download and update and then began to experience the problem.

Hope this helps

I downloaded the update and installed it but am still not able to launch a backup. What I have noticed since is the small red box in the task bar is blinking and when I place the cursor on it the message is "Execution is deferred." When I open Retropspect and look at the "Activity Monitor" there is nothing that indicates any scheduled, waiting or executions are being deferred. But I do notice that the small box in the lower left corner of the Activity Monitor that is labeled "Don't allow scheduled and waiting executions to start" has a check mark in it and it is greyed out and cannot be unchecked. I uninstalled the product and reinstalled and and performed an upgrade and I get back to the same place.

Is there a way to perform a complete uninstall where all the program information is removed and then perform a native install?

Thanks again

hi tom,

it's hard to tell from your post if the "tbuffer" error is gone, but it sounds like the update did the trick. i'll work on that assumption--please correct me if i've misread.

the "Don't allow scheduled and waiting executions to start" really sounds like the KB article i refered you to above. did you read it? i'm reposting here:

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=7956&p=2

i can tell you how to delete the preferences (which are not uninstalled) but i truly feel that we can solve this issue if you read the above. my issue is that if we reinstall, you may end up on this road again. i'd rather you understand the cause so that you can avoid this in the future.

cheers.