Assertion failure at "elem.cpp-845"

today

Retrospect 5.6 Server had been working okay for me for about a year. Recently, I've been getting assertation failures. I have read that this could be a hardware problem, so I set Retrospect up on our hot spare (same type of computer it is crashing on). I'm still getting these errors. It is a real drag because Retrospect claims the tape is out of sync, but is unable to fix that problem by rebuilding the catalog. So I have to dump all my tapes and start again.

I did move the SCSI card from the old machine to the new machine, and it is the same tape drive as before.

What can I try next? I am running the .127 version... heard .132 was available. Where from, and what bugs got fixed?

-todd-

What other error messages are noted in your log before the catalog out of sync occurs?

That this was working sucessfully for a year - and now the same tape drive/scsi card combination produces the exact same error on two different computers most likely indicates a hardware failure (the card or the drive). Try to isolate what's left - a differnt cable, different card. If the problem still occurs, it's probably the drive that's failing.

Quote:

What other error messages are noted in your log before the catalog out of sync occurs?

No other errors. The system goes to back up a client, then balks and says the catalog for the tape is out of sync. The out of sync stuff happens after the assertion errors. I go to resync the catalog, Retrospect claims the problem is fixed, I start backups again, it claims the catalog is out of sync.

Quote:

That this was working sucessfully for a year - and now the same tape drive/scsi card combination produces the exact same error on two different computers most likely indicates a hardware failure (the card or the drive). Try to isolate what's left - a differnt cable, different card. If the problem still occurs, it's probably the drive that's failing.

This happens also when I backup to local IDE harddisk without running tapes at all.

The number of clients I'm backing up has increased quite a bit (now 40 or so). Maybe Retrospect might have hit some sort of wall?

I don't see how this could possibly be the hardware's fault. Tape drive or SCSI problems... well, Retrospect should handle anything they can dish out. As it is now, I have no means of debugging anything other than drastic things like replacing cards or $2000 tape drives. If there is a hardware problem, Retrospect should report it to me instead of crashing. Especially since Retrospect is crashing in "elem.cpp", which sounds like your tree table. It isn't asserting in something like "scsi.cpp". Asserts are a bit of a lazy way out of a programming pickle.

-todd-