Error -120 (folder not found) on backup, not restore

We have a persistant problem where on one drive out of two on one client out of many the backup fails whenever the user is logged-out because of an error -120 (folder not found). The folder that is not found would appear to be the entire volume. This is the slave of a master/slave combo.

The weirdest part is that recently the machine has been reconfigured so that these are brand new drives and on a PCI card ata bus, whereas before they were on the motherboard's own bus. So, different drives, different ata controller, exact same problem.

The only entry in the knowledgebase about this error has to do with a restore failing. this is a backup that has the problem.

The client configuration is set to use selected drives, it has no problem selecting that drive. The log shows that it is getting ready to back it up. Then it can't find it. Hey, it's 7 feet away, I could open up the computer and show it to the server!!!

It's very annoying, but I don't know if I want to spend $70 to tell support about it.

The problem is that the OS is unmounting the drive when no user is logged in. That's the way that Mac OS X works. Because you don't provide any specifics of your configuration (Retrospect version, OS version), it's not possible to provide an exact solution; we can't read your mind. But don't gripe or make smart-alec posts - we are just users like you are. Acting like a jerk is not productive.

Several solutions (including perhaps the one for your case) are given in this thread:

Keeping volumes mounted

Also, we find our Retrospect support contract to be well worth the nominal yearly charge. You might consider that if your data is valuable and if your time is worth money. The support group has always been very helpful to us.

Russ

hi bc,

it is unclear from your description whether the backup works perfectly if the user is logged in. i'm not sure why you would even mention that fact unless it's relevant so i'll refer you to this:

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/73546/an/0/page/2#Post73546

and hope that helps you out.

Quote:

The only entry in the knowledgebase about this error has to do with a restore failing. this is a backup that has the problem.

i believe the above actually does quote a KB on backups. of course it refers to _local_ backups so i can see how you might miss it.

Quote:

It's very annoying, but I don't know if I want to spend $70 to tell support about it.

they probably already know. if the link above helps you'll see it's a default behavior in OS X. if that's it you did the right thing by coming here.

cheers.

Archived