Native Intel Version????

Is anyone getting as tired as me waiting for a native version of Retrospect for the Mac. Its been 7 months since the first Intel iMacs rolled out and still no native version. The real problem I see here is we have no disaster recovery, something totally essential for a safe backup. I've called the company more than once and they have no idea when they will have a native version - other than they're working on it. For a company so committed to sound backup (and an expensive product) they're missing just how essential disaster recovery is. The answer that it runs under Rosetta is nice - for say Word (maybe) but not certainly for Backup. Without disaster recovery a restore of the HD would be incredibly tedious.

Quote:

Its been 7 months since the first Intel iMacs rolled out and still no native version. The real problem I see here is we have no disaster recovery

Why not?

There's nothing about Retrospect running under Rosetta that prevents it from doing a complete backup of a MacTel machine and providing Restore options for disaster recovery plans.

A Universal Binary version would run faster, but native code doesn't effect the feature set...

Dave

Yes - I was referring to the bootable CD as that is what Retrospect references. In terms of an external HD, I do have that. I can now boot off that as I do a complete backup using SuperDuper! which makes the Lacie USB drive bootable. But it wasn't before I got SuperDuper!. I only use Retrospect now to backup my Home Folder to a different partition - for differential backup purposes - say if I need a file a few days old.

hi kerry,

Quote:

Lacie USB drive bootable.

i'm just curious about this statement. my G5 (ppc) can only boot off Firewire drives. are the new Intel machines capable of booting off of a USB drive? if so, that is pretty cool. i may have to get one.

can anyone confirm that you can boot a Mac off of USB? i've just never seen that in the specs. my understanding is that OS 9 can boot off of USB, but that because of the way OS X resets the USB connection at startup you cannot boot from USB.

i would be very happy to be wrong about this.

I guess not only am I concerned that there is not a disaster recovery CD but I'd worry, even if I booted from another drive, that a full HD restore would actually work properly. I know with SuperDuper! that it would as I can run off that backup on my Lacie HD. Even though Retrospect has been blessed under Rosetta, I know there are big differences when it comes to this level of functioning (it took the SuperDuper! fellow a while to get it right) so I'd be concerned that the backup would actually work.

I'm trying to run Retrospect Express 6.0 with the 6.1 driver downloaded to the applications folder, but everytime I double click on the application, it fails to open. Mac OS 10.4.7, imac, with Maxtor one-touch. Any advice how to ge tthe program to launch successfully?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived