HD to HD to tape setup for OS X

actually, this can be done but it's not schedulable so it is not as useful.

however, for the sake of completness, here is the methodology:

1) do a backup to disk

2) create a tape Backup Set (or you could use an older one)

3) go to 'Tools->Copy' and select 'Transfer'

4) walk through the steps. select the disk as the source, tape as destination, you can use a selector, yada, yada. should seem familiar at this point.

While this manual transfer might work for a full backup, my reading of the manual indicates that it's not going to work for incremental updates. Correct? Doesn't seem possible to craft selectors as sophisticated as Retrospect's file matching phase during incremental backup, which is really Retrospect's strength.

Quote:

you could transfer by date or something, but at best it's a workaround.

I don't think that there is "a something" that would work. Retrospect's matching and snapshot determination is pretty sophisticated. Consider things like folders made empty (contents discarded), files copied from one filesystem to another with older dates than any threshold you might pick, etc. There's no way using selectors to recreate the functionality of a snapshot except for a full backup, that I can tell.

Russ

I was thinking this setup would be best for quick backup/restores (tape library takes retrospect about 1m too access?!?!?) While the tape backup afterwards would be used for archive (anyting older than 6 months) and offsite.

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!

Flint-

hi flint,

at this time there is no better way to do this with the current (6.1.126) Macintosh product.

if you want to talk about the tape library though, you should post the specs. don't forget the scsi card, if you have one.

Quote:

at this time there is no better way to do this with the current (6.1.126) Macintosh product.

Walt, I know that you can't speak to unannounced products or possible features in future products, but the implications of your statement make me salivate. My wallet is ready....

russ

Archived