Unable to direct EasyScript to backup file backup to External Hard Drive

Every time I write a script to do a file backup to an external harddrive, there is no way to set the destination HD; the destination only goes to the backup file and when the script runs it backs up to my internal HD> If I create a backup file on the External Hard Drive, when I write the script I cannot use this empty backup file since I get the message "This backup name already exists" Is there any way around this???

what OS?

what version of Retro?

you are contradicting yourself:

Quote:

there is no way to set the destination HD

Quote:

If I create a backup file on the External Hard Drive,

etc.

take a deep breath and try to explain what exactly is happening. no one here can see what you are doing so you'll have to use *really* detailed language.

Mac OS 10.4.6 Retrospect 6.1.126. Yes it's confusing because "destination" is used both for the backup and the backup's location. In writing a script one is asked for the name of the backup file, which has to be a new one---not an existing one. But there is no way I can find to tell the script to put the backup file to a HD destination; it automatically goes to the Internal HD when I want it to go to the External HD.

If I create a new Backup file on the External HD, there is no way I can find to write a script to have scheduled backups to this file.

Clear????

Quote:

it's confusing because "destination" is used both for the backup and the backup's location.

Where?

In Retrospect, "Destination" is the Backup Set to which you are copying your files. This is true for all Types of Backup Sets.

When you Create a New Backup Set, you are given the opportunity to choose the location in which the appropriate files should be saved. And although one might think of this as the destination of the file, Retrospect is consistant and names its window "Choose a Folder" with a descriptive text of "Saving Catalog Foo" or "Saving backup set file 'foo'"

>Every time I write a script to do a file backup to an external harddrive, there is no way

>to set the destination HD; the destination only goes to the backup file

This is correct, as noted above.

Source = The Volume (either an OS partition or a folder configured in Retrospect to behave as a volume) you're copying data from.

Destination = The Backup Set to which the files will be copied.

Retrospect keeps a list of Backup Sets that you have created or opened. You can "Forget" names from this list if you need to.

A File Backup Set is composed of two files, and these files can be moved to any location as long as they are kept together.

It sounds as if when you created your File Backup Set, you selected a location on your internal drive, instead of on the location that you really wanted it to be.

Clear???

In order to use the name you want for your Backup Set you can either:

- Delete the Backup Set files from your internal drive

- Forget this Backup Set from Configure->Backup Sets

- Make a New File Backup Set, making sure that you save it in the correct location

- Use this as your Destination

OR

- Forget the Backup Set from Configure->Backup Sets

- Copy the Backup Set files from your internal drive to your external drive

- Click "More" in the Configure->Backup Sets window, then "Open" and navigate to your external drive.

- Select the newly copied Backup Set file and click "OK"

- Use this as your Destination

Archived