Cannot Restore from Firewire Hard Disk

I am running OS X 10.4.6 on a G4 iBook. I had a problem with my hard drive and Apple replaced it with a new one. About a month ago I backed up the drive to a firewire disk using Retrospect 6.1. When I try to access the backup set for a restore, I get a dialog that asks if I want to rebuild the catalog since the catalog is no longer on the hard drive (which was replaced). I click on "rebuild" and then "file backup set" and then on the "Retrospect Data" file that is on the firewire drive. When I click on "open," I get a message saying "The catalog portion or Retrospect Data is damaged. Would you like to repair it?" I click on "yes" but get an error message "Couldn't repair catalog Retrospect Data, error -61 (writing denied)."

What am I doing wrong and how do I get my hard drive restored?

Quote:

I click on "rebuild" and then "file backup set" and then on the "Retrospect Data" file that is on the firewire drive.

Actually there is no collection of choices to click on "rebuild" and then "file backup set," so this is not what you did.

But given the name of the file on the drive, this is likely not a File Backup Set, but instead is probably a Removable Backup Set (you had to modify Retrospect's default preference settings in order to use your FW drive as a removable device).

Try:

Tools->Repair->Rebuild from removable disks

Dave

Thanks. This seems to be working (it's running now). Since I am starting with a new hard drive, the preference to use the firewire drive as a removable drive was also lost. I went back into the preferences and redid that.

OK. Now I've got it to rebuild the catalog but when I tell it to restore the entire disk, it brings up the list of files in the backup but I can't select them for the restore. I click on "Files Chosen" and select al of them in the "Restore form Backup" list but it does not let me "mark" them.

Archived