Jump to content

Couldn't erase tape, error 102 (trouble communicating)


Recommended Posts

I have been doing backups for some time with no system changes. Then I started to get this error when performing a long erase. I don't do long erases then look at log often, but getting any error gets me to question the reliability of the backups. I have not attempted to backup (filling the tape completely) with VXA V17 tape (this is a VXA-1 Firewire tape drive). Not too long ago I was told by Ecrix tech support to update firmware and drivers, which was done. I have tried on 2 different Macs, each gave same error. After the erasure, it shows as erased. And had I never looked at log, I'd never know the difference. I would like to understand this error and to know how it effects the backups. I've read one other post with same problem but it does not solve anything. I will try to make a backup using all the tape, then do a restore to see if I get errors. But if there are any ideas as to what is occuring, I'd like to know.

 

Thanks

 

 

Durwin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote:

I have been doing backups for some time with no system changes. Then I started to get this error when performing a long erase.

 


Had you succcessfully performed long erases in the past? Was there anything new or different (software, OS, additional hardware) that you may have done prior to the failed long erase?

 

Are you using the latest versions of Retrospect (6.1.126) and RDU (6.1.5.102)?

 

Quote:

I have tried on 2 different Macs, each gave same error.

 


Were these Macs of the same vintage? Some older G3s in particular had marginal FireWire ports, and do well with an aftermarket PCI FireWire card.

 

Otherwise, experiencing the same failure with two different computers is pretty suggestive of a problem with that particular tape cartridge or with the tape drive itself. Both do wear out and will eventually require replacement or repair.

 

Your plan to perform a test backup and restore is a good one. If you experience further problems, try a new tape. If you're having problems with multiple tapes, I'd have the drive evaluated, and, as necessary, repaired or replaced.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote:

Quote:

I have been doing backups for some time with no system changes. Then I started to get this error when performing a long erase.

 


Had you succcessfully performed long erases in the past? Was there anything new or different (software, OS, additional hardware) that you may have done prior to the failed long erase?

 


 

Yes, I have performed long erases in the past successfully.

 

Quote:

Are you using the latest versions of Retrospect (6.1.126) and RDU (6.1.5.102)?

 


 

Client is current, driver is not. But the driver is the same one used when it was successful.

 

Quote:

Quote:

I have tried on 2 different Macs, each gave same error.

 


Were these Macs of the same vintage? Some older G3s in particular had marginal FireWire ports, and do well with an aftermarket PCI FireWire card.

 


 

Both Macs have run successful erases before.

 

Quote:

Otherwise, experiencing the same failure with two different computers is pretty suggestive of a problem with that particular tape cartridge or with the tape drive itself. Both do wear out and will eventually require replacement or repair.

 


 

I have tried several tapes with same error. I agree it tends to point to a hardware failure, but is there no idea what 102 means? Did the programmers not put a meaning to the error message?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote:

I agree it tends to point to a hardware failure, but is there no idea what 102 means? Did the programmers not put a meaning to the error message?

 


The meaning is "trouble communicating", which means the device doesn't respond in the way Retrospect expects, usually a hardware problem of some kind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...