Operations log display problem

Hi Retrospect people

I don't think that this is a major problem, but I would like to know what is happening.

(The Operations Log size is set to 10Mb in preferences. Backups are running daily and the log seems to be recording the backups correctly as they run.)

When I open the Operations Log, I am informed at the top of the window that there are:

"118,312 lines, using 6375K on disk".

BUT, when I scroll backwards through the log from todays' date, I reach a date of 2nd December 2005 and the following statement is shown on the top line of the log:

"(86,313 lines above could not be displayed)"

My question is...

Why not? The log is not even 1Mb in size yet. Why can the log only display 31,999 lines?

Why do we have the option to set the log size to impossibly high limits which can never be seen?

Or, am I doing something wrong? blush.gif

Another stupid thing about the log occurs when you try to print it:

• If you highlight a portion, Retrospect prints only the highlighted portion.

• If you highlight nothing, Retrospect prints the 31,999 visble lines of the log.

• If you highlight nothing but ask to print a specific number of pages in the print dialog box, Retrospect dutifully prints the desired pages, and then "prints" the rest of the log as a ream of blank pages.

I assume these anomalies are just more "not a bug" bugs.

You can, of course, open the entire log as a text file in a word processor, though you then do have to put up with the Retrospect symbol codes sprinkled amidst the text.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your response to my message twickland, and the tip:

"You can, of course, open the entire log as a text file in a word processor, though you then do have to put up with the Retrospect symbol codes sprinkled amidst the text. "

I managed to do this eventually and could see the whole log file. It is a bit harder to read because of all the symbol codes, as you said.

It would be far better if Retrospect could allow us to view the whole operations log (as I feel sure it was intended) but this is a good enough workaround for me to use, should I ever need to review the log so far into the past.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Archived