Completing Restore takes (too much) time

Hi.

I've been using Retrospect 6.1.126 and an external FW drive to repartition hard drives. Most of the time it works just fine: I backup all partitions to a file backup set on the FW drive (which I boot from), format the internal hard drive and restore the entire disk. (Then I add the files from the other partitions as "restore files", but that's not the issue.).

BUT twice now (out of about twelve Macs), the "Completing restore" takes much longer time than actually restoring the files. Why?

Some figures:

636140 files, 16GB restored in about 80 minutes. "Completing restore" has since been running for 150 minutes and is still running. I see about 2-3 file names per second counting in the window. Normally I can't read the names, they pass so fast.

What's so special about these two macs?

I run Mac OS 10.4.x.

Thankful for any help.

Lennart

OK, guys:

The actual file restore took 1 hour, 20 minutes.

The "Completing restore" has now taken 6 hours!!!! and still counting!!!!

What's going on?

Should I just go home and leave it on during the night?

Do I start over and hope for a faster restore next time?

No answers; just an observation: Yesterday I performed a restore of about 6 GB. During the "Completing restore" operation, the file names began parading by slowly for about 15 seconds as you describe, then suddenly sped up. The speed was not related to file size.

On a related issue, I understand that "completing restore" involves, at least in part, setting permissions on the destination volume. Could somebody explain why Retrospect cannot do this at the time it writes the file?

After waiting 17 hours, I decided to stop Retrospect. Launched Apple's Disk Utility and repaired permissions. As expected, there were LOTS of errors and it took a bit longer than usual.

OK, this Mac is now up and running. HOWEVER, I still have two Macs to go. How can I make sure this problem doesn't repeat itself on those two macs?

Hi again.

After every restart, the Mac complains about AudioIPCDriver.kext is not installed properly.

I tried installing the Mac OS X 10.4.5 Combo installer, didn't help.

I tried copying the package from another Mac, didn't help.

I tried running Cache Out X, disn't help.

Now what?

Quote:

During the "Completing restore" operation, the file names began parading by slowly for about 15 seconds as you describe, then suddenly sped up. The speed was not related to file size.

Hi.

This is what happened on another Mac today: Slow at first, then fast, finishing in a reasonable amout of time. There are three differences:

This Mac 10.3.9, the previous one 10.4.5. (FW drive had and still has 10.4.5)

After formatting the drive, I used Spotless to turn off Spotlight indexing on the newly formatted drive.

Restarted just prior to the Restore disk operation.

Which one made the difference?

Archived