Retrospect backup over Mac OS X Server (Tiger) VPN

Hey all,

I'm trying to set up Retrospect to back up remote Mac OS X clients that log into the network via the built-in Mac OS X VPN (PPTP). VPN is served via Tiger Server.

Every time the client VPN connects, Tiger Server assigns the client a different IP address (out of the IP pool configured in the PPTP VPN settings in Server Admin). The IP pool is 192.168.0.217-.222, which conforms to subnet 192.168.0.216/29. I've configured Retrospect to scan this subnet for backup clients (in the "Backup Clients on Network" window in Retrospect, select the TCP/IP menu -> Configure Subnet Broadcast). However, Retrospect does not see these clients.

I could add them by IP address without a problem, except that the next time they log into the VPN, they'll have a different IP address and Retrospect will once again barf.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

hi nbirn,

do you have multicast going across your VPN? i doubt it's on by default. i'm not sure about the capabilities of your VPN, but i believe you need to have TCP/UDP available at port 497 and mulitcast through the VPN in order to do this.

Archived