Using Fire Wire disks as removable media

OS X 10.4.3 Restrospect 6.1

We have a Xraid with 1.8TB, the system was setup 3 months ago with a file backup to a 700GB lacie firewire disk. The backup now fails because there is no room on the Lacie, I need to backup about 900Gb. I have another Lacie 700GB disk and would like to use both as removable media. I have not used Restospect before and my knowledge of Mac OS X is not that great so I am being careful. When I select the firewire drives in the preferences and then go to devices both of the Lacies show up but also the Xraid. I don't want to write to the Xraid.

How do I allow the 2 lacies to be used for backup but not the Xraid, I would have thought I would need to add the Lacies to a backup set but do not see how. I have erased the Lacies with Retrospect the Xraid has content not recognised in the details field and I have left that strickly alone.

regards

Frank

What sort of backup - are you doing a 'normal' backup, or a duplicate ?

If you are doing a duplicate then you can't use multiple volumes for the destination. For a normal backup, once the first disk is full, it will ask for a second and you can tell it to use the second disk (or it can automatically use it if you set the right preferences).

Thank you for the reply.

I think Retrospect call it incremental plus, i.e. it does a full backup first and then only changes after that. My concern is how to make sure it does not try to write to the raid, only use the lacie firewire drives.

It is not a duplicate backup.

regards

Frank

By default, Retrospect will only write to media that is erased or is named with the name of the appropriate backup set member.

To minimize the chance that you might accidentally erase the wrong drive, also be sure that the preference "Minimal Erase Confirmation" has not been selected.

Archived