Retrospect moves files on client after renaming subvolume

Hello,

I am having an issue with Retrospect. It appears that Retrospect is creating a new folder on a client volume after a subvolume has been created and then renamed.

This is occurring with Retrospect 6.1.126 running on MacOSX 10.4.2 and a client version 6.1.107 running on MacOSX 10.3.9

Specifically, I create a subvolume of the “Users” folder on the client machine within Retrospect. I then rename that subvolume in Retrospect in order to make it more understandable when viewing the backup server status window.

A new folder ends up being created on the client volume with the name that I had given the volume in Retrospect, with all of the user folders and files that had been created on that machine. The original “Users” folder remains with only the administrator user in it. In addition, the adminstrator user folder is empty and all of the documents within that user are now in the new, renamed folder.

Anyone seen this?

Bill

hi wpl,

when you rename the subvolume, Retrospect really does rename that folder. so now your users folder is renamed to whatever you'd like it to be. don't reboot at this point--i think you'd have a real big problem.

after you've renamed the Users folder, OS X is still trying to write to the home directory of the user that is still logged in. you'll probably find that the new Users folder created by OS X is not a full Users folder. in other words it will only have the preferences that are being written to it. the fact that there is an Admin user in there just means you are logged in as Admin.

you need to rename this folder back to Users. OS X will be looking for the info in there sooner or later, and it would be best if it could be found.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Yes, it causes all sorts of trouble. I'll see if reversing the namechange in Retrospect puts things back.

BTW, this seems a very odd and downright dangerous thing for a backup application to do. Having the app write to and reaarange the source volume seems a number one no-no to me.

Bill

hi wpl,

when i tested this, i had to go to the computer that had been changed and rename the 'new' Users folder (i named it 'Users1'). then i went back to my Retrospect server and was able to change the name back. before i did this Retrospect would error with, 'folder already exists'.

hope that helps.

Quote:

BTW, this seems a very odd and downright dangerous thing for a backup application to do. Having the app write to and reaarange the source volume seems a number one no-no to me.

Actually, Retrospect is not a backup appplication, but a backup and restore application. As such, it needs to be able to write to the source volume.

That being said, it would be better if--as is the case when one asks to delete a file from a browsed volume--Retrospect were programmed to pop up a warning that the name change will affect the volume itself.

Archived