Retrospect 6.0 automated jobs dont run

I have recently noticed that on one of my xserve (10.3.9 server) the automated Retrospect (6.0.204) jobs fail to automatically start at the scheduled time. I have a backup job to external FW 800 running at 12.01am and a backup job to tape at 04:00am. If I login to the server in the morning and run Retrospect application the "queued" jobs immediately start to kick in. Any ideas why this would happen?

I had this exact same thing happen to me once about a month ago on our Xserve G5 running 10.4.3 server and Retrospect 6.1 Workgroup; Dantz support indicated that there is supposed to be a "retrorun" process lurking in the background to start the backup jobs, which is killed when a backup is started but then respawned when the backup ends, which wasn't running in my case. In my case, a rebooting of the server solved everything. I might have been able to futz around and relaunch the necessary process, but the rebooting was simpler and quicker. I believe I know the exact sequence that caused it to get into this state, but it's rather complex and may not have been your cause. You might try a "ps" to see if the retrorun process is alive, or simply schedule a reboot at a convenient time.

Russ

Thanks for the posts. This is a remote server server and I hadn't visited it for a while. I have now upgraded to 6.1.126. The server is set to reboot every night. The retrorun process was/is running and I have deleted /Library/Preferences/Retrospect/retrorunfile as suggested in other posts, then logged in and out of Retrospect. Will see how the scheduled jobs go tonight.

OK I deleted the retrorun file as previous forum posts suggest. Checked the backup the next morning and it did kick off at 8.00pm as exptected but now it seems to halt untill the next morning, I presume when the technician came in and changed tape etc. Here is a copy of the log

∆ Retrospect version 6.1.126

automatically launched at 2/15/2006 8:00 PM

+ Recycle backup using Daily Backup to Tape at 2/15/2006 8:00 PM

To backup set Wednesday…

2/15/2006 8:00:18 PM: Recycle backup: The backup set was reset

- 2/15/2006 8:00:18 PM: Copying DataHD2…

2/16/2006 8:09:52 AM: Execution stopped by operator.

Remaining: 128301 files, 15.1 GB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 12:09:34 (12:09:30 idle/loading/preparing)

2/16/2006 8:09:52 AM: Execution stopped by operator.

Total duration: 12:09:34 (12:09:30 idle/loading/preparing)

Quit at 2/16/2006 8:10 AM

As you can see it seeems to sit idle/loading/preparing all night, any ideas ?

Archived