Retrospect won't wake iMac from sleep

Hello,

I'm using Retrospect 6 and have an OS 10.3.9 iMac that should be backed up over night but fails to wake from sleep.

The Energy Saver sleep settings have been modified so that the hard disk never sleeps but the backup still fails. Each morning when the user arrives and wakes the system the backup starts (and slows down his system). Is there a setting that I'm missing that will cause the system to wake for backup? Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joan

hi joan,

it is unclear to me (and it sounds like you are unclear on this also) whether you are setting the computer to sleep or not.

if you've set it to 'never' sleep, then why does the user need to 'wake up' the system? there could be many reasons for this, so i'll let you respond before i offer any conjecture.

also, is this a client or server?

Hi Waltr,

I wasn't clear in my original message. The hard disk is set in the Energy Saver control panel to "never sleep". The display is still set to sleep after 15 minutes. When the user arrives in the morning the display is asleep and he wakes the display. Once the desktop shows up Retrospect immediately begins to backup. The backup will run and complete successfully but we'd like this to occur over night.

There is a sleep option where you can schedule it to wake at a set time but that doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Joan

hi joan,

it really sounds like the computer is asleep, not just the display. whenever i think of the 'hard disk' setting in the energy saver, i always think of the check box at the bottom.

is this a client computer or do you run the Retrospect application on this computer?

could you try this as a test: open the terminal on the computer that's having the problem. type 'pmset -g', (without the quotes) and paste the results in your next post. that will tell us a lot.

Quote:

The hard disk is set in the Energy Saver control panel to "never sleep". The display is still set to sleep after 15 minutes.

The Energy Saver preference pane has options to control the computer, the display, and the hard drive. You have provided information for only two of these settings.

The important one for you is "Put the computer to sleep when it is inactive for..."

Since Retrospect is unable to wake a Macintosh from sleep (as discussed in a different recent thread, the ability to even do it in OS X was added by Apple n 10.3, but Dantz has not added the feature), the only setting that will give you what you're asking for is dragging the slider to "never."

Dave

Quote:

Since Retrospect is unable to wake a Macintosh from sleep (as discussed in a different recent thread, the ability to even do it in OS X was added by Apple n 10.3, but Dantz has not added the feature)

It's also necessary for the hardware to support it. We've got a couple of iMac G3 slot loads (500 MHz, vintage 2001, running 10.4.4) that apparently don't have the hardware support in their NIC to do the "magic packet" stuff.

Russ

Quote:

It's also necessary for the hardware to support it

No it's not.

The API that Apple currently provides for Mac OS X is not WakeOnLAN, but is instead based (presumably) on what the Energy Saver preference pane does; rouse itself at a scheduled time.

The only program I know that taking advantage of it is the Schedule Helper component of Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack Pro.

Archived