Importing scripts from 6.0 to 6.1

In migrating Retrospect from one machine to another, we've decided to upgrade from 6.0 to 6.1. Here is our problem: I move the catalogue file and the preferences folder to the new machine after installing 6.1. It finds the catalogue but when I go to take a look at the scripts none of them are there. I tried uninstalling 6.1 and putting 6.0 back on, since the scripts were made in 6.0, but of course 6.0 wont run on OSX 10.4.4

So I'm wondering if there is some kind of problem with 6.0 scripts in 6.1? Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks.

A few questions:

Are you sure that the scripts are still in the Retro.Config file on the old computer? In other words, when you launch Retrospect 6.0 on the old machine, can you see and run the scripts there?

Did you copy the Retrospect folder to the root /Library/Preferences folder and not some /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences folder?

Do the Retro.Config(6.0) files in the Retrospect folders on the old and new machines have the same attributes (incuding size, creation, and modification dates)?

Are other custom conditions, such as client lists, custom selectors, etc. visible on the new machine? In other words, have only the scripts disappeared?

hi mac,

the config file for 6.0 and 6.1 is the same file. if you do still have the file on the old computer (/Library/Preferences/Retrospect/Retro.Config (6.0)), then you should be able to quit Retrospect on the new computer and then move the current file out of it's directory (say to the desktop) and then recopy the old file back over. does that help?

I have a different question now. We recently made a big network change and everyone's IP address is now different. Unfortunately Retrospect keeps trying to access the old IP in order to backup a client. Is there any way to simple change the IP for a client? I'd really prefer not to remove and then re-enter all the clients since then I'd have to go back into each script and specify all the folders I want backed up.

hi mac,

i know of no way to change the ip address once you've added by ip. i'm afraid you'll have to forget and readd them.

if you can, use the multicast option this time. you don't indicate a problem with that so i am puzzled as to why you didn't do this in the first place. it seems like more work.

I went through and told Retro to forget all the clients. What I was left with was a list of clients shown as "Not logged in" so I did that and rebuilt the list. Now here is my next problem, the people who are connected to out network via our wireless routers are having sporadic problems, wherein I can access their hard drives to add a file and then after that Retrospect tells me it cant find the user anymore.

So two questions:

1. I configured the TCP/IP subnet info, so I assume when I saw the clients (after forgetting them) as "not logged in" that when I went back and logged them in that I was adding them via multicast, since I never input their individual IPs, right?

2. If I did add them via multicast, is there some reason it would give me problems connecting to users on the wireless network (which has the same subnet and gateway as the ethernet network)?

hi mac,

ah, the details come out. this is a much more complicated setup than i had imagined.

1) you are on the right track here, but instead of multicast, you've added by subnet broadcast---now i can see why you might have added clients by ip. i don't think that adding a file to the HD will cause Retrospect a problem, could there be any other factor involved here? how have you narrowed it down to this?

2) no. no problem accessing as long as the connection is good. the problems you are seeing might be related to firewall issues, or could be intermittant wireless connection. how is your conectivity? also, when the Macintosh sleeps it kills the wireless interface--i've seen this turn off the client before.

Actually, I'm really lost as to what the problem might be. I just had the clients using laptops disable their wireless connections and plug directly in with an ethernet cable. Same problem. So instead of being a wireless problem it seems to be a laptop problem. I reinstalled the client, which didnt help.

Edit: Correction, when I restarted the client machine after switching it to the ethernet cord it registers properly and can be backed up as normal. So the problem is isolated to the wireless portion. Signal strength is quite strong and there is no intervening firewall.

Archived