Upgrade Retrospect Desktop to version 12

rfajman

I currently have Retrospect 11.5 Desktop (formerly Professional).  I use it to back up three (currently) PCs to four backup sets, each on a 3 TB hard disk, using one of the backup sets each day.  The network is a dedicated gigabit Ethernet switch.  What's the value to me of upgrading to Version 12?  The new features don't seem really applicable to me.  There are quite a few bug fixes, but I don't see why I should have to pay for an upgrade just to get fixes.

The main problem that I have is frequent occurrences of backups bombing with thousands of "-1101 File or Folder Not Found" errors:

[*] stfiDoBackupOne: error -1101 (file/directory not found) on C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_wwf-system.workflow.runtime_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_3670ad90fe5c2d0f\.
        [*] and 34,579 others
        [*] stfiWaitForBackupDone: operation terminated, error -1101 (file/directory not found)
        Trouble reading files, error -1101 (file/directory not found)
        3/24/2017 6:27:38 AM: Trouble copying folders, error -1101 (file/directory not found) ddex=50,848

It occurs both on the "server" and the clients, with no obvious pattern.  Usually rerunning the backup works, but that is a pain and makes Retrospect less than fully automated.  I don't see a fix for this in the list of Version 12 fixes.

I, too, get repeated -1101 errors using 11.5. The most irritating thing about it is that the locations referenced are in my Excluded list in the script. I just went through the script again today and deleted the multiple exclusions I have created that should each have eliminated any attempt to backup the location in question and re-created every one of them. But I'm sure the -1101 errors will persist. I've paid for Retrospect Professional 7.0 and four upgrades/full versions over the years to 11.5, but am getting irritated with the minor pay-for-it upgrades that really should be free upgrades to long-time users of the product. And the policy of including bug-fixes only in the next please-pay-again version doesn't seem fair to those who have already shelled out plenty trying to stay current and/or get the product working properly with the latest OS or technology. Version 12 came out just under 1 year after my last payment was made, but I didn't pay double for the 'maintenance' piece, so I won't be upgrading.

I've started my own private KB for Retrospect issues for frequent problems, and this is what I have. Maybe it will help fix your problems.

First, run 'chkdsk c: /f' on any volume when you receive this error for more than two sessions in a row.

If you get the error:
Can't backup System State Error 1101
Start the services.msc and start VSS.  Set VSS to start automatically.

This is the knowledgebase from Retrospect.

Where a registry key is mentioned, read this:

I understand your problem with paying an annual support fee. This is something that has appeared throughout the computer industry, beginning with IBM in the mid-1900s, and is now prevalent. Software companies like 'recurring revenue'. The reason they like it is because it shows that they have a fairly constant revenue stream which is not directly related to new product sales. That is a much-loved feature by auditors and bankers. If they can't show recurring revenue, they can't assure the bankers of their financial stability and can't borrow money, or can only borrow at higher interest rates. If they don't have a sufficient line of credit at a reasonable rate, then they run into big trouble if sales hit an air pocket, they run out of cash, and they can't meet payroll. Recurring revenue is absolutely critical to any software company.

I realize this isn't your/my/our problem, but if Retrospect goes under where will you be? Or if they are forced to sell themselves to another EMC to simply survive as a product? How did that work out when it happened before?

The software is not trouble-free, but I still think after trying to get some major competing products to work Retrospect offers features that are outstanding. I would like them to make version 12.5 a fix-it release that adds NO new features, but addresses the considerable backlog of problems that come up all the time on this forum, and probably on their support line as well. These problems are things that engineers need to devote time to solving, and they can't get the time if they're always adding new features.

Just my opinion.
  • Like 2

I don't have the problems mentioned by ProFromGrover.  It happens that I recently did a CHKDSK /F /R on both of my partitions on the machine that does the backups.  No problems were found.  The profilelist in the registry is fine.  I don't back up network shares, rather I back up the clients that own those volumes.  I don't have a network disk appliance.

It's interesting to look at the cost of one year's support as a percentage of the price of the product:

Desktop:  109%

Single Server (Disk-to-Disk) 5 Clients:  33%

Dissimilar Hardware Restore Desktop:  61%

Dissimilar Hardware Restore Disk-to-Disk:  47%
Open File Backup Disk-to-Disk:  25%

Perhaps if the price for support of the Desktop product were less skewed, more people might buy it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I currently have Retrospect 11.5 Desktop (formerly Professional).  I use it to back up three (currently) PCs to four backup sets, each on a 3 TB hard disk, using one of the backup sets each day.  The network is a dedicated gigabit Ethernet switch.  What's the value to me of upgrading to Version 12?  The new features don't seem really applicable to me.  There are quite a few bug fixes, but I don't see why I should have to pay for an upgrade just to get fixes.

The main problem that I have is frequent occurrences of backups bombing with thousands of "-1101 File or Folder Not Found" errors:

[*] stfiDoBackupOne: error -1101 (file/directory not found) on C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_wwf-system.workflow.runtime_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_3670ad90fe5c2d0f\.

[*] and 34,579 others

[*] stfiWaitForBackupDone: operation terminated, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

Trouble reading files, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

3/24/2017 6:27:38 AM: Trouble copying folders, error -1101 (file/directory not found) ddex=50,848

It occurs both on the "server" and the clients, with no obvious pattern.  Usually rerunning the backup works, but that is a pain and makes Retrospect less than fully automated.  I don't see a fix for this in the list of Version 12 fixes.

I hate to offer a solution that involves Roger Fajman or HawkinOz or anyone else spending money for an upgrade (insert appropriate smiley here), but I just noticed two fixes for the -1101 error  in Retrospect Windows 12.1 (and Retrospect Mac 14.1).  Search for "-1101" (omit the quotes) using the web browser of your choice in these release notes.  The fix to the Engine may be too specialized to apply to Roger Fajman or HawkinOz, but the fix to the Client seems more broadly applicable.

I just phoned Werner at Retrospect Sales, and he confirmed that the 45-day free trial applies to upgrades as well as new Retrospect users.  He suggests that you save your old config files, just in case you need to go back to the pre-upgrade version.

BTW, I agree with you folks about the cost of ASM for the Desktop product.  I don't have it, since Retrospect Support did not on the whole provide particularly useful advice during my 30-day free-advice period after I upgraded (at full new-user price) from Retrospect Mac 6.1 to Retrospect Mac 12.0.  I skipped Retrospect Mac 13 entirely, since my slow Internet upload speed means I couldn't use cloud backup and the bug fixes didn't apply to me.  However I have upgraded to Retrospect Mac 14 (without ASM), primarily out of gratitude because Retrospect Support was quite cooperative—including providing a trial of an advanced version of Retrospect Mac 13.5 that didn't solve my problem—when I reported my -530 problem as a reproducible bug.

P.S.: Johnny Mac reports that at least one of the fixes in Retrospect Windows 12.1 works for him; at least I think that's what he's saying.

• 1 month later...

I thought I posted this before, but it's not here. I decided to upgrade to 11.1 and find it to be much more reliable. It doesn't get those file/directory not found errors all the time. It's a problem that existed for years, over many versions. It looks like they finally fixed it. It shouldn't take an upgrade to get a fix for something like that...

I thought I posted this before, but it's not here. I decided to upgrade to 11.1 and find it to be much more reliable. It doesn't get those file/directory not found errors all the time. It's a problem that existed for years, over many versions. It looks like they finally fixed it. It shouldn't take an upgrade to get a fix for something like that...

Roger Fajman didn't need to post this, because he's been beaten to the punch by Johnny Mac in this post.  However post #1 in this thread says Roger Fajman was already using Retrospect Windows 11.5, so I think he has actually upgraded to Retrospect Windows 12.1—whose Release Notes says it contains a couple of fixes for the -1101 error (insert appropriate smiley here).  Anyway it's nice to know that both administrators' -1101 errors have been fixed.