Grooming crashes Retro 11 - reproducible

x509

I need to groom the backup data set for my PROGRAMS drive.  This is the backup set for all three systems on my LAN for Windows, executables, config files, program updates, etc. 

I set up a script and ran it immediately. As soon as the script started, Retrospect crashed.  This happened three times.  Now I know insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the outcome to be different.  So what workarounds are available to me, so I can recover some needed disk space.  My grooming policy for this dataset is: Groom to remove backups older than 6.

I have a similar policy for other backup sets and I can groom those without any problems. :huh:

Comments?  Ideas?

x509

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have had this problem with V9.5. It seems to happen when there are a large number of sessions (a couple dozen) for the same backup set. I always recycle the backup and do over. Recreating the catalog takes just as long. This is a pain (particularly with a couple of partitions that approach 3TB and take some 16 hours to backup). This is why I have not upgraded to a newer version. In fact I use a groom script as a verification that the catalog had not again become corrupted. I've had this happen with win xp, win7, and now win10.