Does Grooming ever delete backups of files that have been deleted?

x509

As I understand Grooming, if my policy is to retain N copies of a file, and I have an N+1 backup, the oldest backup file would be deleted.  So even N copies of files that I have deleted from my source drive are still contained in the backup set. 

What happens when a file is no longer included in a snapshot of the source drive. Can I force backup of such files?  I'm thinking here of all the temp and scratch files created in the \Program Files and \Program Files (X86) directories, and the \TMP and \TEMP directories.

x509

Files that still are on the source volume will never be groomed out.

Files that have been deleted will be groomed out after N + 1 backups when grooming occurs, for instance, when you run a groom script.

New files and files that are modified since the last backup will always be backed up. (Unless you have a rule that always excludes them.) This has nothing to do with grooming.

• Like 2

Files that still are on the source volume will never be groomed out.

Files that have been deleted will be groomed out after N + 1 backups when grooming occurs, for instance, when you run a groom script.

New files and files that are modified since the last backup will always be backed up. (Unless you have a rule that always excludes them.) This has nothing to do with grooming.

Lennart,

Thank you.  This explanation is much better than the one in the manual.  Perhaps Retrospect should hire you as a tech writer.  :D

x509

• Like 1