Backing up client to NAS

I'm hoping to back up several clients to NAS using the single server / unlimited clients version. Is there any way to get the clients to back up directly to the NAS rather than all of the data passing through the server?

It currently runs at about 200MB/Min which I'm guessing is a bottleneck at the server. The clients are i7 pcs with and ssd and a Gb LAN connection so I'd expect to see much higher figures.

Cheers Stu

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of observations.

1. With GigE on a good day with the wind behind you you should be able to get up to 70MB/s total throughput.

2. Remember when backing up to a NAS target your data traverses the Backup ServerLAN Twice Client > Server & Server > NAS. Put them on separate NICs should help.

3. Depending on what NAS you have and how many drives it has, and what it's specs are, many smaller SMB/SOHO NAS typically perform at around 200MB/s so the NAS may be your bottle neck.

4. If your NAS has multiple Lan Ports, connect each directly to a separate NIC in your Retro Server, direct connection with a cable is fine, no switch needed.

5. Retrospect works it's own hard drives hard during backup. If the server only has one drive the following disk accesses will all compete. Placing these folders on separate physical drives can significantly improve performance.

Retrospect Program Folder, Windows Temp Folder, BackupSet Catalog Folder, BackupSet Target Folder (This is on the NAS in your case so that is fine)

6. Retrospect only backs up one data stream per BackupSet, creating several backup sets will allow several clients to backup in parallel