(Not responding) every time I click in Retrospect

shadowz85

Retrospect 8.1.0 (266) on Windows Server 2012

This started about ten days ago. 

Retrospect was configured last year and has been running pretty consistently. It is a simple server. My client wants to backup two directories completely every night (about 100 Gb data) to tapes labeled Mon, Tues, Wed, Thu, and Fri1, Fri2, etc. The tapes are recycled.

About two weeks ago, a program (not on the server, but using data on the server) had a problem and generated a huge log file (over 50Gb). My client kept cancelling the backup in the morning when she came in and saw that it hadn't finished.

I deleted the log file and the runaway program was fixed.

However, since about that time, whenever I am in Retrospect, whenever I click anything... menu item... response to a prompt, Retrospect stops responding and displays "not responding" in the title bar. It recovers somewhere between two and five minutes later.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Also,

While trying to run a backup that has run regularly without errors, it is prompting for a new tape. Normally, I can just select the "proceed" button and it will continue. Now, the proceed button is greyed out. The name is "Fri-1" I have deleted the backup set and also erased the volume. Still can't use it. I have not tried replacing this tape cartridge with another tape as I am not on site. I'd prefer not to have to drive in, but will do that, if necessary.

• 3 months later...

I am trying to use Retrospect 8.5 on windows server 2012 and I keep getting 'not responding' when I switch between menus. I have contacted Retrospect support but they are useless. Endless requests for further information but no solution. You can wait days for them to reply and it is usually someone who hasn't read the case notes.