Test selector on source groups

retrospect_user

Hi

I'm using Retrospect 7.7.620 and recently tested Retrospect 9.

In both versions I'm not able to test a selector on a source group (to see if data fits on one BD-R).

I wonder if I do something wrong. So if you know how to test a selector on a source group instead on all volumes in that source group and then manually calculate the gigabytes, please tell me!

Thank you!

Retrospect spans discs without any problems. You should backup what needs to be backed up instead of trying to exclude files that you might need later.

Yes I know. But my data is organized in a two level system with working data and an archive. Every three months I move working data that is not altered any more to my archive and make a backup. This archive backup I let span to several discs.

So the working data folder is actually very small.

But if I downloaded for example the latest Ubuntu ISO image and saved it into my working data folder and forgot to remove it from there I want to know why something bloats my working data as an ISO image from Ubuntu is definitely not worth backing up.

This is just an example and normally I don't download ISO files to my working data folder. An other example is MP3 files or screen shots, you understand the "problem"?

I actually have a seperate download folder. This was just an example.

Another example: I install a new software and it creates an obscure caching directory below my user profile that contains no valuable data and is very big. I just want to see that the big amount of data is coming from there and not any other folder in my souce group.

So is there a way to test a selector on a source group? Yes or no?

Btw: As i read the above text it sounds harsh and rude. This isn't meant to be but as I'm a German I often have problems in finding the right words. ;-)

Thank you.