Sudden Issues with Retrospect 9 - Backup set corrupted

I have a Mac Pro tower (3,1) that's running OSX Server 10.5.8 in a small office environment. Retrospect 9 is installed and has been running without issue since version 9 was released. I have 3 backup sets that reside on external hard drives that backup externally connected share points on the LAN. These backup sets run a script several times a day to append what has been changed throughout the day. Very straight forward.

Recently, I replaced one of the hard drives because it failed, and it felt like a good time to just create a new backup set on this new hard drive ( the backup sets are created as Disk, and the catalog is pointed to store on the hard drive designated to be the storage for the backup set). The hard drive I'm using as the backup set storage is 1TB. The source of the backup is 300g and maybe half full.

When I try to run the script to run the backup, after a while, I get an error saying the backup set is corrupted, but nothing has been backed up, the backup drive is empty, other than the catalog file and a folder for the backup files. Very strange.

The backup set is going to a new firewire800 1tb hard drive.

I have 2 other backup sets that are running on other hard drives with no issue.

I can't figure whats going on. I just dumped the latest backup set, erased the backup set hard drive and tried again.

I can't update Retrospect to version 10 because the server is running 10.5 and I'm not sure the hardware can support 10.8.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Like 2

Just copied 120G to this drive with no issue.

Retrospect won't write to this drive at all now - keep getting '!Trouble Reading, Trouble positioning, error -102' in the log about this media set.

Any idea what's going on? My backups have stopped on this backup set now.