Recycle Backup Not Automatically Erasing

seanf

I have a Dell PowerEdge T420 with Windows Server 2012. It came bundled with their RD1000 cartridge drive and Retrospect OEM Disk-to-Disk (8.0.0).

I am having a problem with the Recycle backup option. Even though I have the appropriate cartridge loaded, Retrospect does not automatically erase the cartridge and use it. It will display a "Please select a new disk..." message, even though the disk loaded in the drive is the disk it's asking for (see the attached image). Once I click "Proceed," it will go ahead and erase the disk and reuse it.

It should do that automatically, though, shouldn't it?

post-50196-0-03919000-1363959360_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When performing a scripted recycle backup to a tape member with the correct name, Retrospect will generate a media request unless the “Automatically reuse named media” preference is selected. Click Configure > Preferences and then browse to the Media

Erasure preferences to specify this option.

• 7 months later...

For what it's worth, I found a work-around for this problem. I just have to leave the Retrospect window open and, more specifically, leave the "Storage Devices" subwindow opens. When a cartridge is inserted into the drive, the "Storage Devices" display automatically updates to show the inserted cartridge.

Then, when the scheduled backup runs, Retrospect already knows that the cartridge is loaded and so doesn't ask for it.

Still not perfect, but better than it was before.