Transferred Files to New Drive - Source Shows as Missing

Hi, we just transitioned from an old Tiger server running Retrospect 8 to a new Lion Server running Retrospect 9. I transferred the old settings and catalog over OK and have most of the clients back up and accessible.

So we transferred all of the files on our main file serving drive from the old server to a drive on the new server, keeping the root volume named exactly the same and retaining all ACLs. So when logging into the new server, all the share points and files look exactly the same, no 'reconnecting' needed to happen. Even our photo cataloging software that stores the root path to images is not broken (our biggest fear).

But in Retrospect Sources, the old volume still shows up but with a status of 'Offline'. The new volume with the exact same name and path is now available as well. When I look at the summary for each, the Client Name is the same and the path is the same (e.g., Path: /Volumes/OFFICE RAID/).

- If I remap all of the same favorites for the new volume, will Retrospect consider files that are already backed and have not changed at all as already backed up?

- If it won't, is there any way to point the old volume in Sources to the New? Locate is not an option.

I just really don't want a complete clean backup of all files from scratch as the majority have not changed and that would almost completely fill up a new drive (meaning I'd have to buy 2 new 1TB drives instead of 1).

Thanks!

Retrospect does not just use the name to distinguish between volumes (as you have discovered). I guess it also uses the size, the manufacturer, creation date etc.

Since file metadata is different between Tiger and Lion, there is a risk that Retrospect sees the files as different.

This might help, but may also have unwanted side effects:

http://kb.retrospect...uring-a-backup/

Why is "locate" not an option?

You could get a 2 TB drive for just a little more than a 1TB drive (and (quite) a bit less than two 1TB drives).

Hmmm, thanks. I don't think it would be a 'modified date' issue as those should be unchanged. And we do want that to be an option for backing up.

It's just seeing the original volume as 'offline' and when I click on it in Sources, most of the options (including Refresh & Locate) are grayed out. I was assuming this might have been because these volumes were Local and not Client/Remote volumes. Is this the case?

I guess I was 'hoping' I could try to locate that old volume and just associate it with the new volume with the same name.

I do see the new volumes available, so I guess I would just have to setup all the same favorites that were on the old volumes and hope for the best.

- Any other way to associate an old volume with a new copy of it?

Thanks!