Slow backup to full disk never finishes

My 3 TB USB drive that I've been using for backups is full, but it's supposed to be getting groomed. However ever since it got full, backups are taking so long, they essentially never finish. Last week I let it run for 6 days where it was stuck on "closing" and it didn't finish, before my computer shut down due to a power failure. When it came up, there was no indication a backup was even started. Today I started another backup and it has been running for several hours, with a performance of 2.3 MB/min. At this rate, it will take 13 days to back up 20 GB!

I see no I/O errors in the console log. The only thing Retrospect-related is frequent "start update" and "finished update" messages from ISAVol::IsaTreeChanged every 5 minutes or so, and a bunch of "folders needing to be rescanned messages.

What options do I have other than to start over and overwrite the whole drive?

I would simply buy a new hard drive and create a new Media Set. The old drive should be stored.

If you are 100% sure you can lose the oldest backups:

1. Set the grooming to X number of backups (or use the Retrospect predefined set).

2. Create a Grooming script.

3. Run the Grooming script.

You can schedule to run the Groom script once a month or once a week, depending on how often you run backups.

That is because grooming takes place during the backup. During grooming no data is backed up, so the average speed is (much) lower.

Where is the catalog file? On the same volume? That would be a (really) bad thing. Retrospect needs lots of disk space to update the catalog file and space is what you don't have.