Monitoring past backups

Monafly

There appears to be a bug in how past backups are reported. I have attached two screen shots where one place reports a backup but another doesn't. Makes it hard to keep track of whether scripts have run and what the outcome of a backup is if they aren't being reported properly.

Selecting Activities-Past seems to show correctly

Selecting Past Backups is missing some

In the screen shots, there is a backup at 10pm showing from Activities-Past, but not showing from Past Backups.

System is RS 10.1.0 (187) running on a Mac Mini w/10.6.8

RS Past shows.tiff

RS Past-doesnt show.tiff

The "Past backups" only shows the most recent backup for each source/media set pair. If you do two backups in a row, "Past Backups" will only show the most recent one, unless you go to the media set and "retrieve" the previous backup.

This may seem a little strange, but handles the most common backup/retrieval case, where you want to retrieve only the most recent snap, and ignore the older ones.

Not true. Past backups will show 250 activities (changeable in the Preferences-General Settings).

I routinely see a handful or so past backups for each of my 60+ clients from the Activities-Past selection.

In the Past Backups area I get a mish mash of stuff. Sometimes only one media sets past activities are shown, other times all media sets activities show up. That's where the bug seems to be-highly inconsistent reporting of what RS has been doing.

It's only in the Past Backup area that one can see how many files were backed up and Browse what has been backed up. This selection and information isn't available in the Activities-Past area.

If you try to perform a Restore, is the backup session that's missing from Past Backups available for selection in the Restore window? If you quit and relaunch the Console, does the missing past backup appear? Does that backup event show in the Operations Log?

I've found that if I leave the Console running, the Past Backups window does not display the activity that completed most recently. For example, for a regular backup with multiple clients that runs at night, none of the client backups show in Past Backups the following morning, though the backup script execution shows in Activities> Past and the client backups show in the log. Then, as soon as a proactive backup completes, the past Backup window populates with all of the previous night's backups, but not with the most recent proactive backup that just finished.

If I quit and relaunch the Console or stop and restart the Engine, the Past Backups window displays correctly. Our issue is clearly some hangup in communication between the Engine and the Console; I was wondering whether yours might be also.