DIsaster Recovery Mixed Server Environment

We have multiple OSX and Windows 2008 Servers with the Multi-Server Mac version of Retrospect. How does one do bare metal recovery for the Windows servers. Simply having a client app for the windows backups appears to not be a very suitable server backup for disaster recovery. I was hoping for a product that says multi-server to really support that which in my mind wound include bare metal distaster recovery of each server.

What are some strategies folks are using? Are we expected to by a windows mutli-server version as well? that would seem a little rediculous but I don't want to be re-installing windows, retrospect and then do a restore from the backup. too time consuming.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Its Multi-server Mac 10.0.1. We're a mac shop primarily with multiple OSX servers, but we also have a Window's 2008 R2 AD server and a couple terminal servers (well, remote desktop services) servers for some specific apps. Hence going with the Multi-server version which states we can back up.

From the marketing page

"Retrospect 10 Multi Server

Protects any number of networked Windows, Mac, and Linux servers, desktops, and notebooks from a single host computer running Retrospect. Supports disk and tape storage devices."

Plus, the accompanying chart has "Bare Metal" checked.

The windows clients appear to back up the server pretty well, but with the Windows Server recovery instructions saying to install windows first, it appears to not be bare metal for windows.