Retrospect 8 Deduplication Questions

Retrospect 8 Server for Windows is being marketed as having Automatic Deduplication features. So, here are some questions about this.

• Is this a new feature in version 8 or just new marketing for something that was in previous versions?
  • How do we know if this "automatic" feature is running?
  • Is it really automatic or is there some check box we need to set or some specific way of doing backups to take advantage of this?
  • In older forum posts, I read that you need to backup several clients to the same backup set in order to get deduplication. Is that still the case or will this work across multiple backup sets?

Any help with these questions is appreciated.

It isn't new. Maybe it is improved? I have no idea.

It is always running. In older version you can't even turn it off and I don't think you can in version 8. You may limit it's usefulness by altering the default setting. In older version there is a checkbox for only matching same location (the same folder).

It is really automatic.

It doesn't work across multiple backup sets. (It would be a very bad thing to do as it would be impossible to get complete backups in a single backup set. What if some files was only stored in ANOTHER backup set? Disaster! )

This is pretty much what I expected. I don't think we are going to have multiple computers backup to one backup set because of the difficulty of removing the old snapshots for computers that are decommissioned. If they somehow make that easier then we may start combining computers into 1 backup set. That's the only way I see that we can fully benefit from the de-duplication feature. With each computer in its own backup set we are basically getting Incremental backups for each computer with no cross-computer de-dupe. Does that sound correct to everyone? Thanks.

Yes, that sounds correct.

Yes, I wish it was easier to remove old snapshots.

It is possible to "transfer snapshots" and select all snapshots except the decommissioned computers' snapshots. It doesn't have to be done every time a computer is decommissioned, but maybe when five computers have been decommissioned.