Needs media error

S-Mc

I've scoured the forums recently for fixes to this issue but majority of them seem to relate back to tape backups, so I hope it's ok to start a new thread.

The issue seems to be that I've come into a new organisation who are using Retrospect 8 to backup the main server to a Drobo storage bay, as of recently it has decided to start failing daily backups with the status Needs Media (Choose Media ...), though checking under Media Sets there seems to be plenty of space, 24TB to be exact. And under the Media Sets' members are all set to use 99% of the available space.

Any advice for this issue would be greatly appreciated. Also not sure it'll help but the log of the cancelled backup task is (stopped so I could check for free disk space under Media Sets):

+  Normal backup using Daily Backup at 05/09/2012 (Activity Thread 1)
05/09/2012 12:46:35: Execution stopped by operator
Total duration: 00:06:21

In regards to the log message for the failed attempts it only says what I had put in the original message:

+  Normal backup using Daily Backup at 05/09/2012 (Activity Thread 1)
	05/09/2012 12:46:35: Execution stopped by operator
	Total duration: 00:06:21

Not sure if that's something wrong as I've only recently got to grasps with Retrospect by taking over the IT system support.

But here is the screenshot of the Media Set/Members screen (blacked out some details of Media Set names listed as external IPs, not sure why still), the Media Set disk is actually the Drobo storage array for reference.

b1Vct.png

Just noticed something, not sure if it's relevant to this issue but when I go into selecting the Choose Media window and select the drive the member that it should be backing up to, it says 'Use at most 50' even though I set in Media Sets/Members use 90%. Not sure why that is saying a different figure?

OK, the question is now: Why has there been added a second member when the first member is just half full? I say it's operator error in one way or another.

Try to forget member number 2 (the minus "-" at lower left)

EDIT: I was interrupted while typing the answer. This post is the repyly to your post #3 (the one with the screenshot).

Edited by Lennart Thelander

I am guessing that 2nd member was configured during the initial setup but worryingly enough backups haven't ran successfully for months!

OK, I presume that Members are directories on the Media Set which the backup can be written into? And I tried forgetting member 2 still with no joy. Could it be related to this issue please see screenshot:

That 50% value isn't taking the value which I'm setting in Media Sets of 99% and if I obviously try changing the value at that screen I get the error "This disk is already a member of this media set"

Sxu9Z.png

(Got there by going to Active Backup activity > Choose Media > Highlighted the Media State Member (Primary Backups))

I too am experiencing this very problem. I have Retrospect 8 running on a Mac Mini Server backing up to a Drobo.

I've created a new Media Set on the Drobo which has 0GB used out of 15,080GB free yet each time I attempt to backup a computer the status eventually reads "Needs media - Choose Media...".

I have tried adding a media set to a non-drobo drive and I still get the error.

This is a new installation of Retrospect 8.1 server that has had no updates of any kind with each client running the most current version of the Retrospect client.

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Ok, after a complete uninstall and reinstall of Retrospect 8.2 I can connect. I still get the Needs media error.

OK, how about some details.

I quote rhwalker.

Please provide:

(1) complete version number of Retrospect

(2) complete version number of Retrospect Driver Update

(3) complete version number of the OS

(4) complete description of hardware being used.

(5) complete description of the steps you are doing

(6) complete description of the problem

Especially steps 4 to 6. In number (6) should be included what type of media set etc etc.

1. 8.2.0 (399)

2. don't know where this is

3. Mac Server 10.6.8

4. Mac Mini server serial YM0190PEB9X backing up to a Drobo S 5-bay external drive

5. New setup: Add media (Drobo) type Disk, Add sources, Create proper Rule, Create new Script, Run

6. Mac mini server HD crashed and needed a complete reinstallation. Installed Retrospect 8.1 from disc and attempted to link to existing backups on the Drobo. Received the "needs media" error. Removed all sources, scripts, rules, media sets and tried to create them all again. No Luck. I uninstalled Retrospect 8.1 and installed Retrospect 8.2. I created Media set (disk), sources, rules, and script but still get the needs media error. Drobo media set read that it has used 0B and has 15,080 GB free.

Thanks!

Correction for media set: I'd really like to continue backing up to my existing media set (the one that I used before my drive died). It has 2,156.3GB used and 3,843.7GB free Capacity is 6,000GB. It is currently set to use 6061GB or 37%.

Interesting note: If I create a media set that is type: file, I can backup to it. Why can't I use disk I wonder?

In Finder, open up the Drobo drive until you see the .rdb files (the folder that is called 1-MediaSetName):

post-8868-0-89101700-1348674198_thumb.png

That folder should contain only files and NO folders.

Under certain conditions, Retrospect 8 could start creating yet another folder called 1-MediaSetName and inside that yet another folder called 1-MediaSetName and inside that yet another folder called 1-MediaSetName and inside that yet another...

That could cause the problems you are seeing.

I increased the percentage used on the MediaSet (Drobo) to 100%. I checked to see if I had repeating 1-MediaSetName folders and found that I did not. I then removed all of the test media sets I had created trying to diagnose this problem.

It is now successfully backing up to my old MediaSet!

It must have been somewhere between removing all other Media Sets and increasing the percentage used that fixed the trouble

Thank you so much Lennart!