Storage sets, making a jump from R6 to R9

We are a small print company and have leveraged the Storage Set functions to archive our prepess files each evening to AIT for about 17 years. We have just purchased a new Mac Server and Promise 8TB RAID. We currently house our client files on a XServer.

The new server currently houses our FileMaker database and I'll be moving the client files there as well. I want to do a back up of the FileMaker database each night to the RAID and begin housing my storage sets on the RAID instead of backing up to tape.

Is it possible to have the storage sets housed on the RAID?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question. The technician that handled our backups has taken a new position elsewhere and need to be sure I'm understanding this correctly.

Thanks you!

The destination of a backup is always a "media set" (renamed from "storage set"). In your case you should have one or more Disk Media Sets. Members of disk media sets consists of disks.

So, yes, your RAID can be used for storing backups.

In your case, you should consider disk-to-disk-to-tape. Backup to disk media sets and then "transfer" from the disk media sets to tape media sets and store the tapes off site. Think fire, theft, flooding, hurricanes, thunderstorms, you name it.