Retrospect 9 won't drive Qualstar TLS-8222

Mac Pro OS 10.5.8

ATTO ExpressPCI UL5D

IBM Ultrium 3DC

Qualstar TLS 8222

Retrospect 9.0.2 (107)

Retrospect sees the drive and library - it accurately displays the number of slots & status, but any attempt to move/scan tapes fails. Retrospect log reports the task as completed:

+ Executing Moving media... at 6/7/12

Moving media...

Qualstar Library, ID 0:3:0: From: Slot 2 To: IBM Ultrium 3 DC, ID 0:2:0

6/7/12 4:00:50 PM: Execution completed successfully

An attempted scan generates the following Console entry:

6/7/12 4:06:37 PM Retrospect[255] TapeLibraryDevice::magazineRange exception: Invalid Status: Object(Refnum=0) doesn't exist.

I don't think it's hardware-related as cloned boot drive running Retrospect 6.1 functions perfectly. Similarly, I get the same lack of results with Retrospect 9 and OS 10.6.x and 10.7.x.

Also, I have an identical setup, except running Mac OS 10.5.8 Server and that works fine.

What am I missing? Ideas?

TIA

What is an "identical setup"? A setup with the same specs, but not the same equipment? I.e. you have two Qualstar drives? How about swapping them and see if the problem moves with the drives? How about swapping tha cables? Yes, cables can go bad, too.

Does the Qualstar drive come with a test utility? Have you tried it and what was the result?

Hi Lennart,

Thank you for the reply. By identical I meant: same card, tape drive, library, and Retrospect version. The differences are only that the functional setup is an Xserve running 10.5.8 Server, whereas the problem config is a MacPro running the normal 10.5.8 OS (not Server).

To be clear, the problem config is with Retrospect 9. Running the same OS and Retrospect 6.1, the tape drive and library work perfectly. If I had a bad cable or faulty library or SCSI termination issue, it wouldn't function in Retrospect 6.1 either, no?

To be clear, the problem config is with Retrospect 9. Running the same OS and Retrospect 6.1, the tape drive and library work perfectly. If I had a bad cable or faulty library or SCSI termination issue, it wouldn't function in Retrospect 6.1 either, no?

Right. I couldn't tell how many pieces of hardware you had.

Yes, I agree. It seems as Retrospect 9 is the problem.

This forum is just a user-to-user forum. I think you should contact Retrospect support about this.

http://retrospect.com/en/support/contact