No source volumes specified

I have all my servers in a folder called Servers. I have a script that runs every night that uses the Servers folder as the source. This backup takes around 18 hours to run. I have another script that runs at various times throughout the day and only backs up a small number of servers. If the overnight backup is still running then the smaller backup will error out saying "no source volumes specified". I think this happens because the night script keeps a lock on all the clients in the Servers folder until it is done running. It's apparently not enough to stop the day script from starting though. But when it attempts to expand the servers it wants to backup they are not available. To me it doesn't make sense for the night script to keep all the backup clients locked for the entirety of its execution. Shouldn't it hold and release the lock once it is done with each client?

You are correct: It SHOULD release the clients once they are backed up. But it doesn't.

Since you have two groups of servers anyway, split the nightly backup into two scripts. The first part backs up the servers that are backed up during the day. The second part backs up the rest of the servers.