Managing MediaSets with different size member disks

I just recently began with a demo of Retro 9.0.2 (from version 8, being a long time Retro user). The only trouble right now is the use of varying size members of a MediaSet. I have a 1.5TB and 500GB members of one media set. The 500GB was a new member. Apparently Retro used that one first even though it was second in the list and an existing set was already on the first member.

It then went on to fill the smaller set with it's next Proactive backup (of laptops). When full Retro tried to groom that set. Backups take way too long this way, it's been hours grooming and I know there will be insufficient space available at the end. Why won't it switch to the next/first disk in the list? Should I give up?

My last question for the group... Is there a better way to manage dissimilar size Set members or am I just wasting time with multiple dissimilar members?

post-45724-0-70978000-1338553308_thumb.png

• Like 1

I have a 1.5TB and 500GB members of one media set. The 500GB was a new member. Apparently Retro used that one first even though it was second in the list and an existing set was already on the first member.

I don't understand what you write.

The 500 GB was a new member. Does that mean that the 1.5TB was an old member and had backups (snapshots) written to it? Was the 1.5 TB available (on line) at the time of the backup? Was there free space on the 1.5 TB drive?

I never add disk members until the previous ones are full. I also have grooming turned off.

It then went on to fill the smaller set with it's next Proactive backup (of laptops). When full Retro tried to groom that set. Backups take way too long this way, it's been hours grooming and I know there will be insufficient space available at the end. Why won't it switch to the next/first disk in the list? Should I give up?

What is "it" that went on? The same script? Or Retrospect itself starting on another script?

Do you have more than one media set on each disk?

I always have grooming turned off, to avoid the problem you have.

My last question for the group... Is there a better way to manage dissimilar size Set members or am I just wasting time with multiple dissimilar members?

That shouldn't be a problem. Retrospect uses a member until it's full and then requests another (or grooms, depending on your settings).

I have a 1.5TB and 500GB members of one media set.

Actually, you have 1.5TB and a 500GB physical hard drives, or perhaps they are logical volumes on the same physical hard drive, or something different; you're not specific.

But the "Member" isn't really the volume (on the disk), the volume is the storage location for the Member, which would better be thought of as the /Retrospect/BackupSetFoo/ directory.

Apparently Retro used that one first even though it was second in the list

What list?

It then went on to fill the smaller set with it's next Proactive backup

Proactive scripts (and Backup Server before that), will always use the "first available" destination media. I think. You need to use backup scripts if you want control over exactly where the backups go.

Why won't it switch to the next/first disk in the list...

A tantalizing hint, that it's a list of disks, but we still don't know what the list is!