V9 Scary Status Message And Much More.

xz4gb8

Well, in V9 I just finished rebuilding a catalog of a V6 backup. It was an interesting experience. Thanks to the Forum I found the secret to choosing "Tape, Removable,..." I could not find mention of this process in the User Manual.

1. Documentation Bug - That should be in the User Manual.

The "Select a device" window did not show all six volumes of the backup set, just the first five.

2. A bug - not all devices show in the selection window. Ditto for the "Storage Devices" in the main window.

I left the job run overnight and eventually found the activity needed more media. Well, which media have been scanned to rebuild the catalog? The activity log does not tell me anything about this.

3. A (much needed) feature is explicit listing of devices as they are processed in the activity log.

Here is the scary part: When I went to add media, not knowing what had been scanned, all of the removable backup volumes I could see were "Already part of a media set". Of course, I only saw five of the six volumes that were mounted. So, I clicked "Finish".

Imagine my chagrin, after waiting so long, to see the status message, "Cancelling Execution". What a scare. All that time and effort gone for nought! But, wait! It now says "Execution completed sucessfully". Be Still My Heart!

3. A bug - The status message should reflect the activity - "Finishing" IS NOT THE SAME AS "Cancelling".

Finally, the formerly empty Media Sets windows shows NO media sets. Where did the media set I just build go? This too is weird and scary!

4. A bug - If Retrospect knows that there is a media set because it just rebuilt the catalog, it should list that media set.

Yes, I found the Previous Backups now listed. I could tell by the dates that the device never shown was indeed scanned. Not only that, it shows that the backups are in a named media set which is apparently unknown to the rest of the application.

5. A bug - see number 4, above.

My next adventure is to attempt restoration of files from the V6 backup. I hope that is not as scary.