All Files Fail To Compare During Verify

Guest JeffOps

Guest JeffOps

Any operation from a particular Mac formatted RAID suddenly has begun to fail to verify. All files do not compare. Doesn't matter if it is a duplicate or an Archive operation- 100% of files don't match. This has never been a problem before. It just started out of the blue. The files copy and seem to be correct, but the software thinks they dont't match.

Suggestions?

Edited by JeffOps

Guest JeffOps

What "don't match"? Modification date? File size? Contents? What?

Try a safe boot, then boot normally before trying again.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564?viewlocale=en_US

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455

It doesn't specify the mismatch, just says the file "didn't compare".

To be more clear, this is a Windows Retrospect server running 7.6 and I am seeing problems when archiving or duplicating files from a RAID attached to a an Xserve running Leopard Server. I have used this system for years without issue. We moved to a new location and the problem arose shortly after that.

Will try safe boot as soon as I can get people off the Xserve.

Guest JeffOps

It doesn't specify the mismatch, just says the file "didn't compare".

To be more clear, this is a Windows Retrospect server running 7.6 and I am seeing problems when archiving or duplicating files from a RAID attached to a an Xserve running Leopard Server. I have used this system for years without issue. We moved to a new location and the problem arose shortly after that.

Will try safe boot as soon as I can get people off the Xserve.

Safe boot would not work. Held down shift key while restarting. Computer would spontaneously reboot before safe mode was achieved. Not sure what that means. Might have to run some tests.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JeffOps

Discovered that Spotlight was having issues. The attached RAID was not being indexed. I stopped the Spotlight service and deleted the index. After starting Spotlight again it still would not index. I then went to Server Admin and stopped Spotlight Searching on the Sharepoint. I saved the setting and then re-enabled Spotlight. That seemed to do the trick and the Restrospect compare issues went away.

Oops, wrong. Just did a duplicate and it returned 10,622 errors. All didn't compare.

Edited by JeffOps

I have found that if the files are touched between backup and verification by another program such as Spotlight or a Raid program they will fail verification becuase it sees the files as being accessed after the backup happened. I would suggest turning off everything else during the backups and see if the errors go away.