Server Not Connected

sjmagain

I just upgraded from version 8 to version 9 and I'm now getting a server not connected message. I think I correctly installed both the engine and client software. I also tried deleting the default server (127.0.0.1) and created a new one using my MacBook Pro's IP address. I am trying to run it off of my laptop and back up to a local hard drive. I am using Snow Leopard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When you did the upgrade, were you prompted to upgrade the engine when you ran the Retro 9 console?

There was no prompt when I ran the console the first time. But I checked using the Retrospect system preference and the engine was running and the version number was 9. I tried stopping and starting it a number of times, but I was not able to get a server connection.

After 90 minutes, I finally gave up and uninstalled v. 9. I reinstalled v. 8.2 and everything is working properly. (Mac System 10.6.8)

If there is a fix for this problem, I will try the upgrade a second time.

Guest Steve Maser

It's hard to say what the problem is -- I've done about a dozen upgrades (test and production) from 8.2 to 9.0 and it's never failed.

I'm not sure how you got the engine up to version 9 if you were never prompted to install it (as you have to enter credentials to install/upgrade the engine -- that part is odd.

Can't hurt to try it again, certainly...

It's hard to say what the problem is -- I've done about a dozen upgrades (test and production) from 8.2 to 9.0 and it's never failed.

I'm not sure how you got the engine up to version 9 if you were never prompted to install it (as you have to enter credentials to install/upgrade the engine -- that part is odd.

Can't hurt to try it again, certainly...

What do you mean by "credentials"? I was never asked for anything, which I found odd.

Upgraded this morning and the server is no longer connected. I tried the suggestions in the Retrospect 8 User's Guide, but nothing worked.

Be sure that the Retro 8 engine is running when you launch the Retro 9 console. If the engine is stopped, the Retro 9 console will not proceed with the installation of the new engine. During the install, you will need to enter your Retro 9 license code (either the trial version or the paid version).

I just upgraded from version 8 to version 9 and I'm now getting a server not connected message. I think I correctly installed both the engine and client software. I also tried deleting the default server (127.0.0.1) and created a new one using my MacBook Pro's IP address. I am trying to run it off of my laptop and back up to a local hard drive. I am using Snow Leopard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had the same problem. it turned out that some retro 6 files were the culprit after removing all retro files from my computeran reinstlling 9 everything works

Be sure that the Retro 8 engine is running when you launch the Retro 9 console. If the engine is stopped, the Retro 9 console will not proceed with the installation of the new engine. During the install, you will need to enter your Retro 9 license code (either the trial version or the paid version).

Just to be clear, I upgraded directly through Retrospect 8. I opened Retro 8 and a window was displayed asking if I wanted to upgrade to Retro 9. I clicked the install button and ended up with Retro 9 components and a disconnected server. I was never asked for a license code, and I thought that was strange. And under the Retrospect menu, "Register" was grayed out.

Did most of the respondents here use the stand-alone Retro 9 installer downloaded directly from Roxio? If so, that might be the difference between your experience and mine.

Just to be clear, I upgraded directly through Retrospect 8. I opened Retro 8 and a window was displayed asking if I wanted to upgrade to Retro 9. I clicked the install button and ended up with Retro 9 components and a disconnected server. I was never asked for a license code, and I thought that was strange. And under the Retrospect menu, "Register" was grayed out.

Did most of the respondents here use the stand-alone Retro 9 installer downloaded directly from Roxio? If so, that might be the difference between your experience and mine.

It sounds like the upgrade process through Retro 8 may be flawed. I for one downloaded Retro 9 as the trial version from the Retrospect website. I thought the installation of the new engine might proceed more safely if I stopped the Retro 8 engine first (there weren't a lot of hints about what to do). Doing this, I ended up with a disconnected server, as you did. I then quit the (Retro 9) console, restarted the 8.2.399 engine, and relaunched the console, at which point I was asked to enter the (trial) license code and the engine installation proceeded.

• 11 months later...

I am new to retrospect 9 - I have used Retrospect 6 for many years and know how it works but I can't even get beyond step 1 in R9. I never installed v.8 but now have such a mixture of old and new intel and PowerPC machines that I decided to give v.9 a try. I downloaded the trial version to a new macMini and opened the application - all well at first. Decided to install Engine/server on a remote machine (another intel) and filled in the local IP address. It says the server is disconnected (but there seems to be no command to connect or reconnect it). Tried on another intel machine - same problem. No Retrospect pane in either machine _ one running 10.5.8 the other 10.6.x

Am I doing something wrong?