Will "completing Restore" Ever Complete?

Hello,

I have WIN 7 Pro 64 and Retrospect 7.7.562. I'm restoring my C drive (SATA). I installed a fresh copy of Win 7 and told Retrospect to copy all files from the backup, but not replace newer files. The file resore, 94 Gig, took about an hour and a half. BUT, Retrospect has been sitting on the completion phase ("Completing Restore"), for 9 and 1/2 hours and still hasn't finished. It is actually doing something as I can see disk access LEDs on backup and target and can feel the hard drive seek. Also, performance meter shows all 4 cores averaging 25% usage.

Sadly, there is no progress bar or estimate of time remaining (shame on Dantz/EMC/Roxio/adnauseum). I've been sorely tempted to stop the restore and take my chances. What is the program doing all this time (would be nice if it said somewhere). Does anybody know? If I stop it, will I be in a heap of trouble?

-jj

Yes, it will complete.

Yes, it is doing something.

Completing restore is when Retrospect sets the correct permissions on each and every file. It has been a long standing request to get a progress bar for this. Until that happens, be patient.

Obviously, if your 94GB restore was only one file, the "completing restore" would be finished a long time ago. If your 94GB restore consists of a gazillion very small files, you have to wait longer.

Yes, it will complete.

Yes, it is doing something.

Completing restore is when Retrospect sets the correct permissions on each and every file. It has been a long standing request to get a progress bar for this. Until that happens, be patient.

Obviously, if your 94GB restore was only one file, the "completing restore" would be finished a long time ago. If your 94GB restore consists of a gazillion very small files, you have to wait longer.

Lennart,

Thanks for the information. Completing Restore is still running after another 10 hours. If it's just setting permissions, wouldn't it be faster and easier to just stop the restore and set permissions myself as needed. I'm the only user.

-jj

Lennart,

Thanks for the information. Completing Restore is still running after another 10 hours. If it's just setting permissions, wouldn't it be faster and easier to just stop the restore and set permissions myself as needed. I'm the only user.

-jj

Yes, it should be (much) faster. Is this just documents? Or a complete OS restore? If it's just documents I would kill the restore. If anything looks wrong (permissions wise), you can correct that manually in Windows later.